So who has Yosemite Installed? Whats your thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
So who has Yosemite installed and running? What are you over all thoughts about the new UI and how its running over all.
I am going to install it on my MBA tonight, but not my Mini until I feel confident none of my software gets broken..

Please this thread is for the general complaint department meeting, Not the tech support staff.. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
So far, no problems. As with any new os, there are a lot of visual changes. I personally don't care for all the "flatness." In my opinion, what made apple stand out for so long was the uniqueness of the visuals. It seems like with each update, some of those cool things go away. Display seems flat and lifeless. As far as the new features, I haven't really used any of them yet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm trying not to be one of those folks who resists change, but ugh... I can't get over the new UI. And I'm not real excited about any of the new features, really. I think I'm going to wait for .1 on this release (which is a first for me).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I like it.... a lot.
The installation process also confirmed that my MBA has a fan. Never noticed that before.
Yosemite also returned 2 GB of disk storage, that equals the pictures I take on one holiday.
I like the icons as they are now closer to the ones on my iPad and iPhone.

Cheers ... McBie

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like CWA I am not crazy about the totally flat interface, but I have gotten used to it since being in the Beta program since day one.

Overall I like it. Even since first Beta it's been pretty solid with no real issues except some applications that no longer work.

My main and really only issue that is not looks started with Mavericks with elimination of 3rd party Codecs for some video formats with the new IOS video engine. I have found ways around most of that issue using Quicktime 7 with the older codecs like Perian and it all works.

Made my installer Flash drive. Same procedure as with Mavericks!

This is the guide I read. I used the Disk Utility option. Worked great!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=4z6TyDBH4dgR_HgPLQ1Reg&bvm=bv.77648437,d.cGU

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I've downloaded successfully but the Setup Assistant has failed twice. I don't know either what it does or how to rectify the problem if there is one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6
any idea why my 'windows' aren't transparent? the settings are set to have the transparency on but they are solid grey still

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I'm liking it so far. My mini feels a bit snappier. Especially in iTunes. I've received a phone call using it as a speaker phone with my webcam mic. That was pretty cool. I can't get the sms messaging to work though.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I've upgraded my rMBP and my initial reaction is that I like it. I'm currently upgrading my Mini and will sort the missus MBA later on too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
The flatness is going to take some getting used to but overall I like it so far. I upgraded my mid 2011 Mini this morning and had no problems. All of my software seems to function properly including some heavily customized weather forecasting software.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Got it installed with no problems. Only issue I am having is with Mail. I have always used the built in mail app so when it upgraded l was hoping all three of my email accounts would go along with the ride and work.

I can get my work mail which is a pop account. I can't seem to connect to Google mail or Microsoft (Live) mail. Both are IMAP accounts. I opened the console to look at the logs and it shows nothing. Just that it is checking but shows no exchange of username or password.

I will continue to work on it. May have to delete and reset up the accounts.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Installed yesterday so far so good but I noticed private browsing is gone in Safari and Software Update is gone under the .

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
any idea why my 'windows' aren't transparent? the settings are set to have the transparency on but they are solid grey still
Go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Display and make sure "Reduce transparency" isn't checked. With that set, all transparent elements are made opaque.

I've been running it for quite some time and it's fine. It's not mind blowing and doesn't add much to the day-to-day functionality. Handoff is nice...when it works. I've seen continuity errors pop up and my Mac doesn't even seem to acknowledge that I have iOS devices with Handoff enabled. Honestly, I'm starting to think that Handoff is half-baked and desperately in need of more "time in the oven." What a disappointment. With iOS, for example, my devices recognize the other but last time I tried it, I was greeted with a cryptic error message and then Mail just stalled. And, as I mentioned, no matter what type of magic I attempt, my Mac doesn't seem to recognize anything. I can't express just how let down I am by this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Installed yesterday so far so good but I noticed private browsing is gone in Safari and Software Update is gone under the .

Safari -> File -> New Private Window.
About This Mac -> Overview -> Software Update

I am going to let the AppStore inform me of any updates.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
so that is any my Mavericks is acting up on the Mac mini (oct_2013)
I had to restart my mini 2x this morning just to clear the RAM.
i might return to Lion, everything worked!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't mind the "flat" look, but the icon color choices are garish. Especially the folder and Finder icons. Thankfully LiteIcon is compatible with Yosemite.

And that iTunes icon... what's up with the red? I'll be fixing that back to blue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Happy with Yosemite but Safari isn't so good with the Bookmarks button in the centre of the bar.

Virtually every browser on every o/s, historically, has had it on the left, or capable of being placed there, so why bl..dy change it?

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I don't mind the "flat" look, but the icon color choices are garish. Especially the folder and Finder icons. Thankfully LiteIcon is compatible with Yosemite.

And that iTunes icon... what's up with the red? I'll be fixing that back to blue...

What is LiteIcon? I am not fond of the new icons as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
...I can't get the sms messaging to work though.

According to this Engadget review LINK you'll need 8.1 on your iPhone for texting to work. That'll be out on Monday.

The review also specifies which model/year Macs you'll need for the Continuity features to work. Just because Yosemite installs on your Mac, doesn't mean you'll get all the features.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Especially the folder and Finder icons.
Oh god, the folder icon colour is terrible.

I need to revise my previous statement. It's not just the continuity features that are half-baked - the whole OS is. I ran dev previews and the GM candidates and they ran fine. The final release though is an exercise in frustration. Things working in the developer releases (like continuity and handoff) are just broken. This is a fresh install as well so Mavericks leftovers can't be to blame here. I'm starting to think that Apple accidentally released the first developer build as the final release. I don't think I can recommend Yosemite to people right now (a first for an OS X release).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.