so how much ram shall i put in my mini mac?

B

beck

I feel the 256 isnt enought, is a gig realy much beter than 512? its a lot more expensive, anyone tryed all three amounts out?

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

I wopuld say go with the gig or 768megs.... Really i thinkg you would probaly get around tehe same perfomance out of 768megs and 1 gig ( unless you are doing a lot of multi tasking Like photoshop,flash,dreamweaver,illustrator, cinmea 4d but i doubt yoi will do taht

OP
E

EvoMac

I've never seen a 768meg chip for RAM, and the mini has only 1 spot. I upgraded to a 1gb, excellent investment. Would 100 percent recomend that over 512. I have the 1.42 mini

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
He was assuming that there were two slots and one of the slots had 256mg in it.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

ahh sry ablout that yea i though that is was set up like the iBook... :( so ea go for the gig :)

OP
E

EvoMac

<drools about the thought of mini having 2 ram slots> /drool off ... how nice that would be, only thing is... there literally is no way to fit that =/

OP
E

EvoMac

Its not my only machine, but i started to tinker around w. photoshop and video editing, the 256 didnt really run that great

OP
B

Badger

Macs Only website tested a 1.25 ghz mini with 256, 512 and 1 gb of RAM. They concluded that 256 would be adequate for most uses, 512 showed some improvement but the cost of 1 gb was excessive compared to the change in results. Unless you do a lot of RAM-intensive work you'll probably be satisfied with 512.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Macs Only is wrong. With 256 and a few things running, it was swapping so bad my music skipped in Itunes while the drive worked hard trying to be 10 places at the same time. 256 would be on for email and web, but if you do any real work at all and play music in the background, go with 512. So far with 512 never had a problem but for my needs 1GB will be even better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.