Snow Leopard Update & Selective Time Machine Restore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
My 10.5.xx has finally had it and I need to re-install OS X. So I purchased Snow Leopard and want to do a fresh install of the OS. I've performed a full Time Machine back up but do not want to restore everything as I think there could be a program that it effecting some serious slow-down on my Mac.

Is it possible to de a selective restore of a few programs and all my documents, photos and iMovie events from the Time Machine back-up?

GXT

Reaction score
Short answer is yes, but a better idea is just upgrading to Snow Leopard.

The Snow Leopard install while touted as an "upgrade" is actually a complete install.

BEFORE STARTING NOTE DISK SPACE REQUIREMENTS. LEAVE SOME "HEADROOM".

After a full Time Machine backup, take the Snow Leopard DVD and do the full upgrade. Then the Apple updates. Note: that after completing, run a Disk Utility and Repair Permissions and note any problems.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
So will it give me an option of what I want to restore? I think I may have installed some "nefarious" software and my Mac has been running SIGNIFICANTLY poor ever since....so I want to restore everything BUT that item.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Why would you assume that? And what's the big deal if the book helps you and makes him some money?

LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Short answer is yes, but a better idea is just upgrading to Snow Leopard.

The Snow Leopard install while touted as an "upgrade" is actually a complete install.

BEFORE STARTING NOTE DISK SPACE REQUIREMENTS. LEAVE SOME "HEADROOM".

After a full Time Machine backup, take the Snow Leopard DVD and do the full upgrade. Then the Apple updates. Note: that after completing, run a Disk Utility and Repair Permissions and note any problems.

I have to disagree...
The upgrade is actually an archive and install.
It does it automatically unless you go to disk utility and erase the HD after selecting the language.
I found this link just to give the OP some understanding.

see LINK

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Why would you assume that? And what's the big deal if the book helps you and makes him some money?

LOL
Maybe I replied to sarcastically and I don't have anything against a man making a legitimate dollar...but I came here for information from the community, got sold a book. Could have gone to Amazon or B&N for that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I have to disagree...
The upgrade is actually an archive and install.
It does it automatically unless you go to disk utility and erase the HD after selecting the language.
I found this link just to give the OP some understanding.

see LINK
well...now I'm even more confused. I think I'll just try the "upgrade" method first as what ever ailed my system to begin with seems to have corrected itself. If I run into trouble or it doesn't work, then I'll just clean-install SL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Maybe I replied to sarcastically and I don't have anything against a man making a legitimate dollar...but I came here for information from the community, got sold a book. Could have gone to Amazon or B&N for that.

Did you BUY the book? If not you didn't get "sold"...maybe he bought it, found it useful and recommended it.

Less cynical, the better! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.