SMC problem?

Reaction score
After the Black Macbook a1181 laptop was dropped, it's screen broke and it got some cracks in the top case. It also wouldn't charge the battery. I replaced the screen and the top case. Then I purchased a new battery for it. The new battery wouldn't charge either. I reset the SMC using the online tutorial. After I reset the SMC, the laptop charged the battery, and the battery worked for the laptop. Since this worked, I decided to put the old battery in again to see if it would charge. The old battery wouldn't charge, and when I put the new battery back in it wouldn't turn on without the power. I tried resetting the SMC again multiple times, but it didn't work. Whenever the magsafe power connector breaks, then it turns off. When I put the computer to sleep, and then unplug it, it will go to sleep, and then hibernate or whatever, but it doesn't completely have to be rebooted like if it just gets unplugged. It's been a few weeks since the new battery was charged, but the lights on it indicate that it's still fully charged.

Resetting the SMC
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About this Mac - Power

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: BAB-A1185-3b8a-501b
Manufacturer: BAB
Device name: A1185
Pack Lot Code: 3230
PCB Lot Code: 3430
Firmware Version: 0000
Hardware Revision: 0000
Cell Revision: 0000
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 5093
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 5200
Health Information:
Cycle count: 1
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12457

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 20
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
Charging: No

Reaction score
In a nutshell: It's toast.
You dropped it hard enough to break the battery, the screen and the case. My guess: You broke something on the logic board too - maybe something to do with the power converter.
If the HD is still good, I'd look around for a replacement system that matches yours, and swap the HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
As a last ditch attempt at getting it up on the new battery you could try resetting the SMC then doing a Reset of the PRAM. If that did not do the trick and U wanted more mental anguish, i would run the Extended Hardware test from install disk then do a PRAM reset and hope. After all that a stiff drink and a lie down.

OP
P
Reaction score
extended hardware test

I do not have the original install disks that came with the computer, I only have the Leopard install disk. Can I run the diagnostics with the install disk? I tried running the install disk while holding down the d key and it didn't work.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.