Slow 'Save As'/Finder Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New "unibody" macbook pro 2.4Ghz, 250 SSD, 4GbDDR3 RAM; Mac OS X Leopard, Parallels (Vista Ult, XP)
Hey guys...hoping someone has a suggestion for me. I've noticed that with 10.7, when I save a file...say an image file...off a web page, for instance...I don't default to the downloads folder (I'm using Firefox 7 by the way)...but I believe this is happening in other browsers as well. IN any event...when I do a save as, and I try to browse to a folder that I want to save to, Finder just spins away..looking for the folder. Sometimes it can take up to 30-45 seconds before I can actually place the file I'm saving in that folder.

I've read about indexing...I also have a windows share mounted (most of the time). I haven't had much chance to play with this...and it only seems to be happening on one of my macbooks (I've got 3 running Lion at this point).

I was wondering if this is an indexing issue...or if it's related to the mounted (smb) windows folder.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Todd

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
Hey guys...hoping someone has a suggestion for me. I've noticed that with 10.7, when I save a file...say an image file...off a web page, for instance...I don't default to the downloads folder (I'm using Firefox 7 by the way)...but I believe this is happening in other browsers as well.
Every browser (except for Opera) defaults to your downloads folder but this setting is easily changed. In Firefox, go to Firefox > Preferences > General > Downloads > "Save files to."
IN any event...when I do a save as, and I try to browse to a folder that I want to save to, Finder just spins away..looking for the folder. Sometimes it can take up to 30-45 seconds before I can actually place the file I'm saving in that folder.

I've read about indexing...I also have a windows share mounted (most of the time). I haven't had much chance to play with this...and it only seems to be happening on one of my macbooks (I've got 3 running Lion at this point).

I was wondering if this is an indexing issue...or if it's related to the mounted (smb) windows folder.
It's possible that the default folder each browser is trying to save to is an odd location such as a share (it could be trying to connect for example). This might explain why it takes so long. What directory does each browser default to in the save dialog?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New "unibody" macbook pro 2.4Ghz, 250 SSD, 4GbDDR3 RAM; Mac OS X Leopard, Parallels (Vista Ult, XP)
thanks for the reply...yes...I know...I always change the setting in FF to non-default (I like to select where I'm putting my downloaded file/s).

I'm not trying to save anywhere that I would consider 'odd'...typically somewhere under 'documents'...in a sub-folder that I'd created at one time or another. That said, this is an operating system...and given I'm not trying to save to a hidden folder (while files/folders are hidden), I would think that I should be able to save anywhere, without having to wait for Finder to "find" that folder.

I've seen this problem in Windows...for example...if you have a drive mapped, and that drive is not available, explorer will search and search...and this is the cause of the delay. I was wondering if this is the same type of thing in Mac OS...particularly given I have an SMB mounted Windows Share...I do know that when I click on that share...specifically if I haven't browsed it in some time, it will take a long time to load. I don't really know why...other than Mac OS isn't playing nice with Windows...but that's to be expected. If this is the case, I could see why the finder is taking a long time to load when I want to save a file to a specific place (from a browser).

Once again..I haven't dismounted the Windows share. I will do that and experiment. If the finder loads quickly, I'll have my answer. If it doesn't, I have to assume some kind of indexing is going on, causing the finder to search and search, only showing my directory tree after (in some cases up to) 30 seconds or more.

Thanks again

Todd

Reaction score
I'm having exactly the same problem and it's been driving me crazy.
It happens when I try to "Save As" from Outlook, Word, Save as PDF from Print, or basically any time a Finder window comes up to save to a location and I have to navigate to a new folder. When I go back to the Documents folder it can be blank apart from perhaps the folder I came back from, and stay that way for up to about a minute or so. It's an intermittent problem but if I cancel out, wait a minute or two and try again the folders are there.

I also have a shared network drive mounted so will try to unmount that and let you know how it goes. Hopefully that will fix it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I unmounted the share temporarily, and it seems to have fixed the problem. I guess this is similar to a mapped drive in windows that isn't available...explorer craps out when this happens. The difference here is that my mounted volume on my Mac, technically, is available. I've noticed, even going back to earlier versions of Mac OS...my windows shares are often slow to load...particularly if it hasn't been accessed in a while. So I guess this is the real question...why are smb shares so slow to be accessed. I would assume this a disfunction of the different operating systems interacting together. Not sure how to describe this any better or with any better technical proficiency ;)

Good luck...unmount the share...my guess is, it will work for you as well.

Todd

Reaction score
Thanks Todd

I unmounted the shared drive yesterday and so far so good!
It seems to be a lot quicker, with no big delays so far.
I wondered if it was a Spotlight issue, but had already tried setting Spotlight to not scan shared drives and it didn't seem to hold the settings properly.
One of the shared drives has security protocols too, so perhaps that was upsetting it.

Thanks again for the tip and I'll let you know if the problem recurs.

Cheers
Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.