slow internet speeds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-2004 15"MacBook Pro-'08, 17" MBP-'09
I "bundle" TV, Phone & Internet with ComCast. I am supposed to get 50 mips download speed, but I only get 17 with wireless mini 2,1 (OS 10.6.8) and 24 with wired on an iMac G5 (OS 10.5.8). However, with my MPB 4, and OS10.9.4 (Yosemite), I get 54 mps, ALLL on same modem. I have had ComCast techs out, replaced modem 2X, and still no higher than aqs before. Help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Firstly. For this to be a valid experiment…you need to test all computers under the same conditions. So either test them all "wireless" or test them all "wired".

Second. You said that the MacBook Pro is running 10.9.4 (Yosemite).

10.9 = Mavericks
10.10 = Yosemite

If you are running 10.9.4…then you are running Mavericks.:)

Regarding the speeds. Given that each computer has the following airport hardware/wireless standards:

- iMac G5 = b/g (or doesn't have built in airport)
- Mac-Mini = a/b/g
- MacBook Pro = a/b/g/n

I'm going to say that the iMac G5 and Mac-Mini are slower due to being older and have older airport hardware. The MacBook Pro is faster because it supports the wireless "n" standard.

I would say to make this a better test (removing the wireless hardware difference from the test). Would be to test all three computers "wired".

Finally. Are you actually paying for 50mbps service…or it this the max. theoretical speed? In other words…what is the minimum speed you're supposed to be getting?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.