Sleep vs restart mode!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

I am wondering what is actually happening within my mac incl. of security while being on a sleep mode for long periods i.e. from late evening till' next morning vs shutting it down late evening and restarting it next morning!

I ask this because, I do at times need to access my MAC at short notice at any time late evening or not at all until next morning.

But than I need to access in the morning my MAC very fast...

Just wondering, what are the positive/negative issues here that I should think about?

What could be the optimal option to meet my needs, while preserving my MAC's performance incl . security!

C

chas_m

First of all, let me get this out of the way:
A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

Okay, so on to your question --
I'm not sure what you mean by "security" -- if you're referring to internet security, there's nothing to worry about. At all.

If you're talking about other people in your house using your computer, that's something you can do something about (by requiring a password to re-enter from sleep, or just by logging out).

"From evening till morning" is not "a long period" and I would guess at least 75% of the people here do this every day.

Sleep uses *marginally* more power (and I do mean *tiny* difference!) than turning it off (yes, the mac continues to use a trickle of power even when turned off!), so my general advice is to sleep the machine rather than turn it off UNLESS you're going to be away from it for more than a few days.

But it honestly doesn't make a whit of difference. Macs these days boot up to the login screen in well under a minute. Not as fast as the more-or-less instant effect of waking from sleep, but hardly anything to fret over.

I generally only turn my machine actually OFF only about once a month or so.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

thank you for your reply.

With security I was referring generally to security, and specifically to lets say imagine your Mac is stolen, while being on sleep mode - what would be the issues to consider about?(other than having a password to awake from sleep).

Also, is the sleep mode much different compared to windows based systems?

C

chas_m

With security I was referring generally to security, and specifically to lets say imagine your Mac is stolen, while being on sleep mode - what would be the issues to consider about?(other than having a password to awake from sleep).

As opposed to it being stolen while shut down? Nothing.

Also, is the sleep mode much different compared to windows based systems?

Yes. It tends to work. :)

I'm kidding, but yes it appears that it is a little different. On the Mac, what we call "sleep" would be called on a Windows machine "standby."

Windows machines have another mode called "hibernation," which on the Mac is referred to as "safe sleep." The main difference between "sleep" and "safe sleep" is that RAM contents are written to a log file in "safe sleep."

The default mode on the Mac is "sleep."

Reaction score
If your worried about your Mac being stolen, why not look into encryption? regardless of sleep, shutdown or password, if someone takes out your hard drive out they can get access to your data, but not with encryption, There are free programs out there to do this.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

thanks for the interesting replies.

Chas m, would you be able to explain what exactly happens while "RAM contents are written to a log file" - in "safe sleep."?

C7aig, thank you for your lead response.

It was exactly what I wanted to inquire about relating to the topic that I raised!

You never know if your Mac gets stolen. This is especially important as I leave it on sleep most of the time, because that the fastest way to log-in to access the net!

in any case if it gets stolen, this is where security comes in to play I know from past broken laptops that the HD is not very safe in the wrong hands!

It might be encryption could play a big role here, but how to go about it!

Do you have any experience on this; how to get started and to what to look out in particular?

Will appreciate any useful hints.

Thxxx

Reaction score
Firstly, Hibernation (Safe Sleep) basically writes everything to the hard drive, like it would in sleep to the RAM, but it shuts down completely like in a shutdown and uses no power, (I understand someone will come back with "it does use power" but its to low amount to worry about and less than sleep mode)

on the subject of encryption, check out TrueCrypt, there website is very helpful, I used it on a windows machine with no problems at all, I havent tried it on Mac or Linux, it does support both though.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Have you tried some of the alternatives to "Truecrypt"?

Reaction score
The only other one I have experience with is Pointsec, but it isn't free and I think it is only Windows based.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

thanks for now.

I will check it out if anything useful comes out I will forward my feedback...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.