• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sky Broadband

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi
Thinking of changing my ISP from AOL.

Just wondering if anybody is using Sky as their ISP and if so, do they have any trouble using the service with a Mac, and also, are they any good. Any help much appreciated.

Philip

PS. Would I still be able to use Safari etc, or would I need to use a dedicated Sky browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
I recently changed my Mac and a member of the family took over my old one. They are with Sky and I had no trouble setting it up wireless although I don't think their router is as powerful and if you want it wireless you're going to have to get the right position for the router. As for the browser question you can use any one it's the same internet you are getting just a different provider. The browser is only a tool for receiving and decoding the data.
Macs work with everything if you like them enough.:Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
PS. Would I still be able to use Safari etc, or would I need to use a dedicated Sky browser.

Yea you can.

However a word of warning Sky are meant to be, well, how do I put it... Crap! Same goes for Orange, unfortunately you get what you pay for, so their cheap deals go with their cheap and poor customer service, so good luck if anything goes wrong... You'll need it.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Thanks for the advice.
I have looked at reviews for Sky Broadband since I originally posted and yes, they are none too reliable. I have been with AOL for 5 years now and I have had good service. They have recently offered me 8 meg plus free evening & weekend calls, all for my regular price (£17.99) but they want me to sign up for another18 months.

Just thought I would have a shop around and see who else might offer a good deal. Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I am on BT Total broadband now and it is extremely reliable, I get it free as well because my dad is BT employee ;) . Before that I have Virgin Media broadband (formerly Blueyonder or Telewest), that was very reliable as well. If you live in a cable area, it is definitely worth considering.

You don't need to install all the crap that comes with the ISP installation discs anyway. Just take the ethernet connection out the back of your modem direct into your Mac and it will work instantly. Alternatively take the ethernet through a router and then take all your computers through the router to access the net.

Safari will work just fine. As long as there is an active internet connection then any browser can be used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.