OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No maintenance today Harry. Hopefully that was just a rare instance.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, I have not had any issues so far. Even uploaded a picture earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi Nick.

Earlier today whilst trying to post, I got repeatedly a 'Forbidden 403 denied access to server' sign. Anything to do with the maintenance?

OMG!!! A sign of a network virus running amock on your Mac no doubt!! All kinds of sites will often say the same thing so it must be true eh???
:Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Okay, I know this is not the place to post this, but I am logged in and cannot find any place to start a new thread. Nothing came up when I put Start New Thread in the search box. I have had this problem before. Somehow I am just not finding a link so I can ask a question. What should I be looking for?

Colleen

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Colleen

I understand completely.

If you go to the Home/Forums page, which is what you get when you first log/sign in:

This gives you a long list of Headings under which you might wish to create a New Post - this is just a sample:

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 7.25.29 pm?.png

Scroll down till you find a topic which meets your need. Click on it - in my screenshot below I chose "Apple Desktops"

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 7.29.18 pm?.png

You will notice "Post New Thread". Click on that and give a clear heading of what you want and then in the text, elaborate on it. Of course it could be under any Topic you desire - iOS, Apple Notebooks, Mac OS Operating system etc.

Hope that helps.

Ian

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wanted to let members know that receive notification emails from threads they subscribe to that the "sender name" of the emails will very likely change from "Mac-Forums" to "Apple iOS MacOS Help | Fix Mac iPhone iPad | Buying Tips | Mac-Forums".

For those members that are knowledgeable or curious...a very important aspect for a website is SEO (Search Engine Optimization). One of the many SEO parameters to consider is the meta title of a website. Turns out with the vBulletin software the site runs on...the same input field that generates the "sender name" for the subscribed thread emails...is also the same field that the website meta title description is entered. And according to the vBulletin developer experts at vBulletin.com...it's not possible (without custom coding) for these two items (subscribed thread email sender name & website meta title description) to be separate.

In case someone isn't familiar with SEO...there are a whole bunch of parameters that factor into how often & how high/early in a search engine query a website shows up (Google search for example). As you can imagine...an SEO meta title of "Mac-Forums" is pretty under-utilized...especially when a fully optimized meta title for Google is 600 pixels (around 150-160 characters). This is where the meta-title of "Apple iOS MacOS Help | Fix Mac iPhone iPad | Buying Tips | Mac-Forums" is much more descriptive & effective as a website meta title than just "Mac-Forums".

This in no way effects the how the website thread subscription system works...other than the sender name of the emails will change.

Thanks,

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Thanks Nick. I noticed the tab in my iOS Safari was displaying all that info, when the Mac-Forums tab icon came back.

I like to.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Bob. Yes...the title information that can be seen in a Safari or Chrome browser tab should show this info (if on the site Home Page). But if someone navigates to a different page...this tab info will change...since the page info is dynamic (changes with the page)...then the tab info should change. Usually for pages other than the home page...the browser tab info should change to the title of the thread being viewed...or the section of the site being viewed (such as a sub-forum area).

This dynamic page title info can be seen if someone clicks & holds the browser "back" button...or if someone clicks on the "History" drop down menu to see previous pages visited.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wanted to let members know that receive notification emails from threads they subscribe to that the "sender name" of the emails will very likely change from "Mac-Forums" to "Apple iOS MacOS Help | Fix Mac iPhone iPad | Buying Tips | Mac-Forums".

Well, thanks for the heads-up, but I must say seeing the "Apple iOS MacOS Help | Fix Mac iPhone iPad | Buying Tips | Mac-Forums" as the sender in my email I must say looks out of place and sure different to all such other forum emails I get. It's almost like the forum sender doesn't know what they are doing when "Mac-Forums" would be much more accurate and normal and I don't see how the change improves things nor do I understand how or why it has anything to do with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) which I thought was for web pages, not email.

And what did the vBulletin developer experts at vBulletin.com do when they said...it's not possible, 'cause the old Mac-Forums as email sender sure used to work, at least since I've been a member and until just recently.

I guess it's like Apple with their "new & improved" features that breaks what used to work just fime thanks!!

But yes, I can manage and cope if that's what it has to be, even if for reasons that don't make any sense. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You know, because I use Airmail 3 across all my devices and have chosen to display the sender site icon I have only just noticed the change. The little red, partial Apple outline is what I look for, then I read the topic summary. It's a heck of a lot easier than reading the sender title.

Sent from my iPhone

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Having said that I should mention that Mail allows you to show Sender Photo in Mail Preferences > General which results in a little circle with MF inside it, easier to spot but not as nice as the site icon.
The new sender address displays when you hover the cursor over the Site Title on a web browser as well I notice.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 08.34.47.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having said that I should mention that Mail allows you to show Sender Photo in Mail Preferences > General which results in a little circle with MF inside it, easier to spot but not as nice as the site icon.

Unfortunately, not an option if one, like me, prefers and uses "Classic list view". Bummer!!!

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the visually orientated with failing vision it a boon for me. Especially on the iPhone.:)
Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 10.15.01.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.