Simpler Alternative to Gimp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13”, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports). 1.4 GHz Into Core i5. 8 GBN 2133 MHz LPPDR3.
On Windows machines I used to use a program called Paint.net basically better version of Windows own Paint. It had all the features I needed and it was just simple to use and didn't take up a lot of hd space. I've used Gimp in the past, but much prefer Paint.net. Now I know about running parallels, but frankly I don't have a copy of windows I can load and can't afford to buy one. Paint.net is only for Windows.

I sell on Ebay a lot and I need software that will allow me to easily and quickly do one thing I haven't been able to get Macs stock preview app to do and that is "Save As." I need this feature, because I often use the same images just flipped or cropped to make several images to place in my Ebay listings. There are some SEO reasons for doing this. Each time I modify a image I need to be able to give it a new name. Frankly I'm surprised that "Save As" isn't available in the file menu for Macs program.

Is there a free preferably opensource program that isn't a full on Photoshop alternative like Gimp, but will allow me to "Save As" and make a few alterations to my images.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not sure if you tried this. With Preview...instead of "Save as"…there's a feature called "Duplicate". You can duplicate the document…then name it something different than the original (this basically does exactly the same thing as "Save as"). This works for both text documents & images/photos.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13”, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports). 1.4 GHz Into Core i5. 8 GBN 2133 MHz LPPDR3.
Not sure if you tried this. With Preview...instead of "Save as"…there's a feature called "Duplicate". You can duplicate the document…then name it something different than the original (this basically does exactly the same thing as "Save as"). This works for both text documents & images/photos.

- Nick

I'll give this a try thank you. Hopefully thats all I need to do.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Nick

pigoo3 you are freaking awesome! This worked perfectly! Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to make sure you see this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3 you are freaking awesome! This worked perfectly! Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to make sure you see this.

Ha Ha ha. Now how am I supposed to get out of the house to spend lots of money at the local Mall when my BIG swollen head doesn't fit out the doorway!!!;)

Congrats that this solution takes care of things.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I sell on Ebay a lot and I need software that will allow me to easily and quickly do one thing I haven't been able to get Macs stock preview app to do and that is "Save As." I need this feature, because I often use the same images just flipped or cropped to make several images to place in my Ebay listings. There are some SEO reasons for doing this. Each time I modify a image I need to be able to give it a new name. Frankly I'm surprised that "Save As" isn't available in the file menu for Macs program.............

Hello - Preview will offer the 'Save As' choice - simply hold down the Option key while opening the 'File' menu (or even when the menu is opened) - see the first image below; then when selected, the second pic shows the dialog box where a number of the image's features can be changed, including another name - this actually works in a number of other apps - hope this helps. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 12.47.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 12.49.17 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello - Preview will offer the 'Save As' choice - simply hold down the Option key while opening the 'File' menu (or even when the menu is opened)...

Dave you are DOUBLE freakin' awesome!!!;);) It's amazing what happens in various Mac apps when that "option" key is held down!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave you are DOUBLE freakin' awesome!!!;);) It's amazing what happens in various Mac apps when that "option" key is held down!:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick - I've gotten into the habit of pressing that Option key on a lot of menu bar items! ;) For those who haven't tried it on the Wi-Fi icon in the top right menu bar (i.e. if selected to appear there) - hold the key and click on the icon - provides an amazing amount of info about your Wi-Fi network, plus some other menu choices. Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For those who haven't tried it on the Wi-Fi icon in the top right menu bar (i.e. if selected to appear there) - hold the key and click on the icon - provides an amazing amount of info about your Wi-Fi network, plus some other menu choices. Dave :)

I've done this…and ran the report…but really couldn't make heads or tails out of it.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've done this…and ran the report…but really couldn't make heads or tails out of it.;)

- Nick

Hi again Nick - yep, I agree w/ those 'wireless diagnostics & desktop reports' - I've generated a few and for me as painful as trying to review those logs in the system report - :Shouting: :D

But, just the menu drop-down box shows MUCH about one's Wi-Fi network; apologize for a little side-tracking on the Option key, but in the first screen capture below, I've simply labeled the network information provided (of course, this can also be obtained in 'System Report') - when I'm in the den and having trouble on my laptop (room away from my AP Extreme router) or w/ the Roku rebuffering frequently, I'll look at the 'transmit rate' and the S/N difference in this expanded menu - in the second pic, the S/N difference (just a subtraction) impacts on the quality of the signal - the first image posted is w/ my laptop next to the router w/ a 40+ difference; however, in the den, my S/N is often half that value. So, just a simple way to evaluate your Wi-Fi network. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 1.35.55 PM.png SNR_SignalQuality copy.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice explanation (with labels).:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.