Simple Startup Disk Question

Reaction score
Hi,
In Lion can I simply use another disk (with snow leopard on it) as a startup disk? I have an external drive with an old system on it.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
AS long as you have properly cloned an old system disk, then yes you can still boot of an external boot disk with Snow leopard on it.

Handy for those one off utilities or installers that are still PowerPC apps

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
AS long as you have properly cloned an old system disk, then yes you can still boot of an external boot disk with Snow leopard on it.

Handy for those one off utilities or installers that are still PowerPC apps

That is, a cloned system disk created on the computer you wish to boot. A new system that shipped with Lion will not boot to a SL clone created from a different Mac.

And it will hurt nothing for you to connect that drive, boot up holding the option key and see if it will let you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you bobtomay and louishen,

So... I have an external hard drive with an old copy of Snow Leopard (it might even be Leopard). If I Option/Startup it doesn't get seen. It doesn't get seen in System Preferences. I am starting to think I am out of luck.

While I am asking...

I did make a clone back up on a hard drive that connects to my machine via WiFi network. If I were to copy that to a USB hard drive would I be able to boot from that? (If yes to that... is there a reference somewhere of what exactly I would need to copy? I rather not recopy all the extra files. Just the system stuff.)

Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you want it to be a bootable clone, it will copy everything. Assuming you are using an Intel machine, attach the external via USB which should have its own mains power supply, go into Disk Utility, selecting the external drive, format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and then into Partition and select GUID format.

The clone with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.