Simple Accounting Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Following the resignation of the Treasurer of our small village hall, I'm considering putting myself forward for this auspicious position. I would want to replace the current manual ledger that has been used since the Jurassic period with a simple (and cheap/free) accounting package. With only 40-45 income and expenditure accounts and maybe 30 categories and around 120 entries per quarter, I could use Excel but it would be good to have some quarterly and annual analysis tools as well as quick P&L and End of Year Balance Sheets. To narrow my research I would appreciate recommendations. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
To narrow my research I would appreciate recommendations. Thank you.

I am certainly no accountant nor have any recommendations but you might want to try a search here for "Simple Accounting Software" and they seem to offer several choices including some that are free some that are very cheap reasonable.

Just use the information as a guideline if you like, many allow the software to be downloaded directly from the developer site if you don't want to use the sites method, that offers scanning for nasty things to keep you protected.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would recommend against downloading from MacUpdate, or any other software "aggregator" site. They have been known to bundle annoy-ware with what you get from them, then use the authority you give to what YOU want to install to install what THEY want. I know Patrick likes MU, he recommends them all the time, but I have been burned by them, specifically, in the past and won't ever visit there again.

Get the software from the developer site, or from the Mac App Store and avoid the hassle.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks for the suggestions. Randy, I'll work through your comprehensive list over the next few days. Manager looks promising but requires MacOS 10.14 and my Mac is only 10.13 and that is the highest it can go. I've been looking at Crunch and Zoho which are designed for the UK market (which is good for me) but require further investigation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Since it's a small organization, it would not be too difficult to replicate the ledgers they have used on your computer with your preferred spreadsheet application. I made my own for a similar enterprise. The advantage is that there's no learning curve. Plus, I enjoyed creating the spreadsheets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Jake
They have been known to bundle annoy-ware with what you get from them, then use the authority you give to what YOU want to install to install what THEY want. I know Patrick likes MU, he recommends them all the time, but I have been burned by them, specifically, in the past and won't ever visit there again.

I am sorry that you got burned many years ago by Macupdate downloading some software from them, but I think one will find their practice has improved drastically and is quite legitimate these days.

If it wasn't, I'm sure the negative reputation would spread very fast as it did for some practices and firms like MacKeeper and its software. I also provided the suggestion that there were alternative download options at the Mac update site in my post in respect of what you and others have said over the years.

But I feel your insistent negative comments regarding Macupdate are a disservice to many of Mac-forums members, and remind me of the famous line of Shakespeare: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

If nothing else, the site can be used as a source to just search or read reviews (but with the usual warnings of phony reviews).
For example, the OP for this thread could use the site to search for: 'simple accounting application for macOS 13 or below' and end up with a nice list they could check out:

There are other sites available such as the one Randy provided, but unfortunately not many are searchable as Mac update is and is one of the main reasons I use it and recommend checking out some of the reviews it provides regarding Mac software.

Links to the developer site are readily available to those who would prefer to download any software directly, but I can't see your consistent negative bashing of the site as being beneficial to any Mac user.

Like any site, one should use it with caution.

And I won't harp on the fact that I received a corrupted application file from Apple years ago in the early 1990's. Goof-ups can and do happen as you are well aware.

Thanks.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since it's a small organization, it would not be too difficult to replicate the ledgers they have used on your computer with your preferred spreadsheet application. I made my own for a similar enterprise. The advantage is that there's no learning curve. Plus, I enjoyed creating the spreadsheets.
I 'could' (I cut my spreadsheet teeth writing macros for Lotus 123) but far too easy for my successor who may not be particularly IT literate, to wreak havoc. I also quite like the reports available from many of the programs seen so far. In fact, I've discovered ClubTreasurer and have just started a free trial. Looks promising so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Jake

I am sorry that you got burned many years ago by Macupdate downloading some software from them, but I think one will find their practice has improved drastically and is quite legitimate these days.

If it wasn't, I'm sure the negative reputation would spread very fast as it did for some practices and firms like MacKeeper and its software. I also provided the suggestion that there were alternative download options at the Mac update site in my post in respect of what you and others have said over the years.

But I feel your insistent negative comments regarding Macupdate are a disservice to many of Mac-forums members, and remind me of the famous line of Shakespeare: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

If nothing else, the site can be used as a source to just search or read reviews (but with the usual warnings of phony reviews).
For example, the OP for this thread could use the site to search for: 'simple accounting application for macOS 13 or below' and end up with a nice list they could check out:

There are other sites available such as the one Randy provided, but unfortunately not many are searchable as Mac update is and is one of the main reasons I use it and recommend checking out some of the reviews it provides regarding Mac software.

Links to the developer site are readily available to those who would prefer to download any software directly, but I can't see your consistent negative bashing of the site as being beneficial to any Mac user.

Like any site, one should use it with caution.

And I won't harp on the fact that I received a corrupted application file from Apple years ago in the early 1990's. Goof-ups can and do happen as you are well aware.

Thanks.

- Patrick
=======
Not going to argue with you Patrick. But, please do be aware that every time you point to MU as a download location, I'm going to warn that from my experience, it is is highly risky to do so. Nothing personal, you are entitled to your opinion. But, I think it would be beneficial for any Mac user to hear the warning. They can then make whatever decision they might want to make.

I know I won't go back there ever again. Once burned, twice shy. It wasn't trivial to get rid of the crap-ware they foisted on me. Took a full nuke/pave reinstall and then a restore to an old backup from before I ever went to that site to get rid of it. Lost a lot of time and work, plus some files that I never got back that were important to me. That is why I am passionate about it. It hurt. Maybe they have changed. Maybe not. I'm not risking it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I 'could' (I cut my spreadsheet teeth writing macros for Lotus 123) but far too easy for my successor who may not be particularly IT literate, to wreak havoc.

Okay, I'll admit I'm certainly not an accountant type and know very little about it, but for a simple organization couldn't a simple spreadsheet work and what would be wrong with using Apple's Numbers.app or even some already made custom templates???

The price certainly appears to be lot better then some of the third-party choices out there.

Just a thought...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Not going to argue with you Patrick. But, please do be aware that every time you point to MU as a download location, I'm going to warn that from my experience, it is is highly risky to do so.

And I'm going to be strongly backing Jake up every time that he does so.

The "they haven't been bad lately" argument is asinine in my view. It's like saying "Sure this babysitter has been convicted of child sexual abuse, but they haven't sexually abused any children in over a year! Surely we can trust this babysitter to babysit our young child *now*."

Even if they have entirely reformed...how can you trust some entity who so egregiously violated everyone's trust?

Given a choice of dealing with an entity that was well known to be a bad actor, and simply choosing not to deal with them and getting one's software from other sources....the path, to me, seams clear. MacUpdate betrayed everyone's trust. There is no reason to give them another chance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The "they haven't been bad lately" argument is asinine in my view. It's like saying "Sure this babysitter has been convicted of child sexual abuse, but they haven't sexually abused any children in over a year! Surely we can trust this babysitter to babysit our young child *now*."

Good grief Randy, that seems to be a rather overly melodramatic exaggeration comparison between the two situations but I guess that is typical of American lawyers and how they work from what one can read or the general reputation they tend to get.

Just saying, your comments seem to be just a little bit over the top.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good grief Randy, that seems to be a rather overly melodramatic exaggeration comparison between the two situations but I guess that is typical of American lawyers and how they work from what one can read or the general reputation they tend to get.

Just saying, your comments seem to be just a little bit over the top.

- Patrick
=======
Patrick, his analogy is dead-on. For whatever reason MU crapped in their hat, now try to deny it, or claim they won't do it again. Sorry, reputation is gone, never to return.

And your comment about American lawyers was WAY out of line. You should apologize.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And your comment about American lawyers was WAY out of line. You should apologize.

My apologies for grouping all lawyers under the same categorized description.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Good grief Randy, that seems to be a rather overly melodramatic exaggeration comparison between the two situations

It's called "hyperbole," and it isn't limited to attorneys. Defined as "exaggeration for effect," it's how you clarify a concept via effective writing.

but I guess that is typical of American lawyers and how they work from what one can read or the general reputation they tend to get.

That's a very bigoted statement.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To round up this post, we have now decided to go with ClubTreasurer. It's functionality and UK focus suits us just fine and support has been exemplary. If any UK readers are in the market for such of program I can heartily recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm as familiar with MacUpdate's past with bundling crapware as anyone (barring being actually burned like Jake was), but Patrick is right that they have cleaned up their act. Does that mean I would start trusting downloads from them? HECK NO! Greed could still kick back in and they could start doing it again. And let's not forget that they are now owned by the developers of MacKeeper, which needs no further introduction here. But the site is still incredibly useful for finding apps; alternatives to apps; and user reviews and comments (as with Amazon, beware of fake reviews!). As far as I know, there just isn't any other Mac-focused software aggregation site of this kind around still. It's a great resource, just be wise in how you use and recommend it. The standing advice to only get software direct from the developer should always be applied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the site is still incredibly useful for finding apps; alternatives to apps; and user reviews and comments (as with Amazon, beware of fake reviews!). As far as I know, there just isn't any other Mac-focused software aggregation site of this kind around still. It's a great resource, just be wise in how you use and recommend it. The standing advice to only get software direct from the developer should always be applied.

Taking the chance of being shot down in flames once again, your point is exactly what I have been trying to state for quite some time now regarding MacUpdate, that I find it is an excellent place for gathering Mac software information and user comments, read with caution or suspicion as you say.

Links to the developer site that usually also includes a download option are readily available and convenient for those who prefer to use that option.

Now to go and get into my asbestos substitute/foil safety-suit... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Taking the chance of being shot down in flames once again, your point is exactly what I have been trying to state for quite some time now regarding MacUpdate, that I find it is an excellent place for gathering Mac software information and user comments, read with caution or suspicion as you say.
I am certainly no accountant nor have any recommendations but you might want to try a search here for "Simple Accounting Software" and they seem to offer several choices including some that are free some that are very cheap reasonable.

Just use the information as a guideline if you like, many allow the software to be downloaded directly from the developer site if you don't want to use the sites method, that offers scanning for nasty things to keep you protected.

- Patrick
=======
The problem, Patrick, is that in your first post you made, which I have added, you did not have a strong warning about the history of MU. You just mentioned fairly casually that the reader could use the data as a guideline if they liked, never mentioning the bad history. In fact, you implied that somehow MU scans for "nasty things" when in fact THEY added the nasty things! I pointed out the history. And will keep doing so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.