Silencing iPhone Voicemail Notification

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
My wife has an iPhone 6 Plus and running ios 12.4.9...evidently the last software update for this iPhone model. She continually receives spam calls and many go to voicemail (normally blank voicemail), with a loud, long and annoying notification sound. I cannot figure out how to silence/turn off voicemail "notification". Does anyone have a fix? And speaking of spam calls, I had to change the number on my wife's iphone and she now continually receives spam calls. Is this a result of her new number be a "recycled" number that is known to spammers? Have tried various anti-spam apps on her phone to no avail.

Thank you in advance for your responses and recommendations.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe the iPhone 6 has a "Do Not Disturb" option. Turn that on and any calls that are not in her contact list will go to voice mail. That should silence the voice mail. But if it doesn't.....

Try this: Go to settings, Notifications, Phone. Turn off all notifications. If that also turns off the ringer, turn the notifications back on.

I'm on iOS 14.2 so am not sure if the settings for iOS 12 are the same. However, on my iPhone 8, I have Do Not Disturb turned on and all spam calls are either deleted or go to voice mail but no sound plays.

I'm also using a spam filter provided by my carrier for free (T-Mobile) so perhaps that's working.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Certainly do not want to turn off notification of any important phone calls that she may not have in her contacts. People seem to keep their previous cell phone numbers after relocating to different cities and states. Consequently, people who work for medical and other service providers may be using their own cell phones to schedule appointments, etc. We both do not answer phone calls we do not recognize and if it is important, we assume they will leave a voicemail message. But it seems there is an increasing number of scam calls and what appears to be a new tactic of forcing those scam calls to voicemail with no actual message (listening to 10 seconds of "nothing" is another way to see if someone responds by playing a perceived voicemail message and possibly verifying that the cell phone number is active????). And it is a "Catch 22"...increasing the time before her voicemail greeting plays could defeat this, but it could also result in a person not leaving an important voicemail due to wait time before voicemail greeting plays being too long. We both are using Verizon anti-spam app, but she is still receiving 15 to 20 calls throughout the morning, day, and evening. There must be a way to cancel voicemail notification sound.

I believe the iPhone 6 has a "Do Not Disturb" option. Turn that on and any calls that are not in her contact list will go to voice mail. That should silence the voice mail. But if it doesn't.....

Try this: Go to settings, Notifications, Phone. Turn off all notifications. If that also turns off the ringer, turn the notifications back on.

I'm on iOS 14.2 so am not sure if the settings for iOS 12 are the same. However, on my iPhone 8, I have Do Not Disturb turned on and all spam calls are either deleted or go to voice mail but no sound plays.

I'm also using a spam filter provided by my carrier for free (T-Mobile) so perhaps that's working.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Certainly do not want to turn off notification of any important phone calls that she may not have in her contacts. People seem to keep their previous cell phone numbers after relocating to different cities and states. Consequently, people who work for medical and other service providers may be using their own cell phones to schedule appointments, etc. We both do not answer phone calls we do not recognize and if it is important, we assume they will leave a voicemail message. But it seems there is an increasing number of scam calls and what appears to be a new tactic of forcing those scam calls to voicemail with no actual message (listening to 10 seconds of "nothing" is another way to see if someone responds by playing a perceived voicemail message and possibly verifying that the cell phone number is active????). And it is a "Catch 22"...increasing the time before her voicemail greeting plays could defeat this, but it could also result in a person not leaving an important voicemail due to wait time before voicemail greeting plays being too long. We both are using Verizon anti-spam app, but she is still receiving 15 to 20 calls throughout the morning, day, and evening. There must be a way to cancel voicemail notification sound.
FOUND IT! Settings/Sounds and it shows specific sounds/vibration patterns for specific functions...Ringtone, Text Tone, "New Voicemail"..... Set it to no sound or vibrations. There will be just a "visual" banner or badge showing a voice mail. ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
There may also be an option to Silence unknown callers in Settings > Phone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.