signing in

Reaction score
When I sign into my Mac, I first have to sign into my wife's account, then I have to sign into my account. My wife used my Mac and put her account on it. In preferences I removed her user account but it still comes up when I turn on the computer. Does anyone know why this is and how to remove her from the computer? Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's something to check. If I'm right it should fix the problem.

1. Log into your wife's account as you usually do but don't log into yours yet.
2. Open System Preferences and Open Security & Privacy.
3. Unlock the Security and Privacy pane and click the General tab.
4. Make sure "Disable Automatic Login" is checked then close the preference pane.

Once you've done this reboot the system. If I'm right you should be greeted with the login window. Enter your username and password. Let us know if this doesn't work.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you.

I removed my wife's account from the computer earlier. That's why I'm not sure where it's calling it up from.

But I went to steps 2 & 3 anyway just in case, but there was no "Disable Automatic Login" option.

Is there something else to do?

(My wife just mentioned that she has "Find Your Mac" tick marked in iCloud - which we're also having a log of trouble with by the way - and it points to the my Mac but under my name, not hers ... so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry I misread the bit where you mentioned removing your wife's account already. I'll have to do a bit more digging to see if I can find a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm lost and confused by the info and what's been posted!!

When lodged in, how many users are listed and what names are shown in the System Preferences for "Users & Groups"??

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Under System Preferences, Users & Groups, there is only one Current User which is myself, Guest User is off.

My problem is that when I turn on my computer the first screen that comes up has me signing into my wife's account. Then the second screen that comes up has me signing into my own account.

That's what's confusing me, because my wife isn't listed under Current User.

So if you guys can help me that'd be great!

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a bit strange that your wife's login ghost is still showing as you deleted her account. But maybe that's due to just how you deleted it.

Anyway, you should be able to change things to the way you want once you've logged in to your admin user account:
In the Users & Groups Pref Pane, click the padlock if it's locked and enter password, click "Login Options" and set them to what you want.

That should fix things, at least for a normal setup… ;D

OP
R
Reaction score
Yea, I don't know. I deleted it by going into System Preferences, Users & Groups, then hit the minus key to delete. That's the only way I could see to remove her account.

And went into Login Options set Automatic Login is Off, Display Login Window As is List of Users, but don't see anything else that pertains to having double logins.

Thanks.

OP
R
Reaction score
Just spoke with Apple Support.

They didn't know either how to fix the problem.

The very nice support person could only recommend reformatting the harddrive and reinstalling OS X, so will do that tonight.

(Funny how some things don't change; when I first used computers in the 1980s, both Windows and Mac machines, the fallback was always 'reformat your harrdrive, reinstall the os' ... so despite all the nifty whiz-bang improvements to computing, sometimes only the old tried and true, unfortunately, works ... wow! just hope I don't ever have to resort going back to using BASIC!)

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the "old" 'reformat your harrdrive, reinstall the os' expression I dare say, is still often quoted and suggested as an overkill "fix" method, like using a bazooka to kill a fly.

Especially as a first means for a fix. :(

Regardless, you may want to just consider downloading and using the appropriate Mac OS X COMBO Updater. That used to be suggested as a fix a few years ago and often worked too and saves the full Nuke & Pave method. ;)

PS: Make sure you have a backup if any of your data is worth keeping or wanted.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you.

Yea, you're quite right about that kind of fix. The support person did try a few things but no joy. Therefore the reformat/reinstall suggestion.

I did it anyway as I didn't have anything on the computer that I needed since it's not my main computer.

But I will look into the Mac OS X Combo Updater you recommended ... that could be a good alternative. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
riegal, I don't know if would work, but sometimes you can fix some settings to work by forcing them to update.

In your case, in your Users & Groups Pref Pane, change the user and various login settings to something you DON'T want. Restart and try and see if it works.

Then eventually set them to what you DO want, and then see if they update and things start working again. It just might fix things for your login and save a whole re-install.

Don't be afraid to add a new "TestUser" user to use which is not a bad idea anyway for testing etc. ;)

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And, if you had the option "Fast User Switching" turned on, you're going to experience the ghost entry when you log on even if you deleted the user from System Preferences, Accounts. You need to turn that off before removing the unwanted account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.