showing files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
so when i plug in an external thumb drive or an external HDD
i have deleted some files and stuff
so it always shows gaps
(these drives are windows formatted)
is there any way to get OSX to remember how i want the drive to be arranged?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Icon View?

What is Arrange By set to?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
Does that look arranged to any of you? More like deranged, every time I plug in my drive I have to arrange it. Is the any way to get the os to remember the last way I had it?

1411609060946.jpg

M

MacInWin

OK, that's Finder, in Icon mode. The picture answered my question. You have some options:

Right click on any open area in the window and a menu will appear. One of the options in the menu is "Arrange by" with a triangle. Click the triangle and you will be presented with your options: None, Name, Kind, Application, Date Last Opened, etc. Pick what best fits. Now, that last menu is context-specific, so if you do that with a folder open you may get a different list of options, but that's how you set what you see. From your picture, you look like it is set on "None," which is the default.

I don't know how OSX handles drives that are added and removed and re-added, like a USB stick or drive, as I don't use that view (I prefer List).With list view, re-adding keeps it just like it was, whatever selection I pick.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Right click on any open area in the window and a menu will appear. One of the options in the menu is "Arrange by" with a triangle. Click the triangle and you will be presented with your options: None, Name, Kind, Application, Date Last Opened, etc. Pick what best fits. Now, that last menu is context-specific, so if you do that with a folder open you may get.

Hope that helps.

No, I don't think it will. The right-click method is for temporarily changing the View Options. It will revert back to what it was after the window is closed and re-opened. To change it "permanently" you have to use Show View Options. (command-J)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.