Should I wait for iPod touch 6th gen or get the 5th gen?

Reaction score
I plan on getting a iPod touch in a few months and was looking at the 64gb iPod touch 5th gen but not sure if I should wait and see if apple announces the 6th gen with maybe a 128gb variant. So should I wait for it?

C

chas_m

If they're going to bring out a new iPod touch this year, it will happen this month.

OP
MasterShake
Reaction score
Okay I will wait for it to be announced then hopefully they bring the larger screen into the iPod touch which I can see it happening like the iPhone 6 screen size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This is like a dog chasing its tail. Will always be a 'brighter. bigger new model' around the corner. Buy what you need and enjoy.

C

chas_m

FWIW, I don't think they are going to update the iPod touch. Ever again, actually. I think the iPod line is done.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
FWIW, I don't think they are going to update the iPod touch. Ever again, actually. I think the iPod line is done.

What makes you think that? Apple has decided not to update the iPod Classic but we have not heard anything about the Touch or other iPods. The Touch has been a good selling iPod although admittedly, I would rather have an iPhone instead.

C

chas_m

Define "good." The iPod touch is unquestionably the top-selling iPod, but take a look at the financials breakdowns for the past few quarters and bear in mind that the iPod touch is considered part of the iPod family.

A lot of other businesses would be happy with the iPod's sales these days, but for Apple I doubt it represents even two percent of their business. In the March quarter of this year, Apple sold 2.8 million iPods (of all sorts) total. That is HALF the number it sold a year earlier.

I think (again, just my opinion based on years of watching Apple) that the iPod touch will be kept as-is (potentially gaining a small spec bump, like more storage) for the indeterminate future, until sales are even lower (so like two-three more quarters) and then killed off, exactly as the Classic was.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm looking forward to see whether or not your prognostication comes true. :\

C

chas_m

To further clarify my thinking: I'm not saying the entire iPod line will be cancelled anytime soon. I just think it will be "put in statis" -- not updated except for compatibility (as I mentioned earlier, the iPod Touch *might* get a *small* update in capacity).

The future of the iPod is the iPhone -- and the Apple Watch (which, yes, has some small amount of storage on it for tunes!). And iTunes Match.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
Looks like you were right.... I'm really getting pissed off, its got a flipping A5, so I'm being forced into a 128gb iPad so I don't buy an iPod so then they go seeee nobody buys iPods and quit making them....... and how am I suppose to fit an iPad mini in my pocket to listen to music while mowing the lawn and stuff.

Reaction score
The iPhone 6 is near as slim as the iPod touch so physically there isn't a lot to separate them, other than a huge leap in price.

A pity because I love my iPod touch 5 and would love to have one with a bigger less glossy screen and better camera.

Not sure Apple will drop a product just yet that earns it another billion a year, with only minimal reengineering.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and how am I suppose to fit an iPad mini in my pocket to listen to music while mowing the lawn and stuff.

LOL, I think you mean "trying" to listen to music while running your Snow Blower! Not a very long grass cutting season in Minnesota. :Evil:

C

chas_m

Looks like you were right.... I'm really getting pissed off, its got a flipping A5, so I'm being forced into a 128gb iPad so I don't buy an iPod so then they go seeee nobody buys iPods and quit making them....... and how am I suppose to fit an iPad mini in my pocket to listen to music while mowing the lawn and stuff.

You're not being forced into buying anything. What's wrong with a music player having an A5?That's more technology than NASA went to the moon on. I fail to see what an A8 is going to do for you that an A5 can't do in terms of playing music while you mow the lawn ...

Why do you think you need 128GB of storage capacity? Are you really going to listen to all 128GB of music (I believe that would be approximately 30,000 songs) in one sitting? At an average of five minutes each, you know that would take you 2,500 continuous hours (104 days), or nearly an entire year if you merely devoted eight hours a day to listening, right?

Is it really that inconvenient to take five minutes (or less) and swap out songs during an iTunes sync on a 16GB or 32GB device?

Reaction score
Crazy isn't it?

Everybody wants a super computer to handle their Twitter accounts and broadcast their endless selfies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
The iPhone 6 is near as slim as the iPod touch so physically there isn't a lot to separate them, other than a huge leap in price.

A pity because I love my iPod touch 5 and would love to have one with a bigger less glossy screen and better camera.

Not sure Apple will drop a product just yet that earns it another billion a year, with only minimal reengineering.
Really... id be happy with the A7 and 128gb in the same 5th gen chassis, but a 4.7" one would be nice too.

LOL, I think you mean "trying" to listen to music while running your Snow Blower! Not a very long grass cutting season in Minnesota. :Evil:
lol, you would be surprised, but yeah shovling/blowing too.

You're not being forced into buying anything. What's wrong with a music player having an A5?That's more technology than NASA went to the moon on. I fail to see what an A8 is going to do for you that an A5 can't do in terms of playing music while you mow the lawn ...

Why do you think you need 128GB of storage capacity? Are you really going to listen to all 128GB of music (I believe that would be approximately 30,000 songs) in one sitting? At an average of five minutes each, you know that would take you 2,500 continuous hours (104 days), or nearly an entire year if you merely devoted eight hours a day to listening, right?

Is it really that inconvenient to take five minutes (or less) and swap out songs during an iTunes sync on a 16GB or 32GB device?
A5 - 1. playing games, 2. it barely runs ios 8 and 3. its flipping 3-4 years old already and will be obsolete soon, don't need the A8 but the A7 in everything else (Air, mini 2/3, 5S) would be nice. The A4 in my 4th gen is slow as ****, even just opening KIK its a dog, Battle nations will only run if its the only app open.

128gb - 320kbs mp3 or lossless files running to a DAC/amp take up a lot of room, sense they killed the Classic you think they would at least offer 128 in the touch, and its 2014 why should I not be able to fit all my music on one device? I really don't have that much, about 30 gigs as of now, fills my 64 tho when you add in pics and apps.

Apple is basically forcing people into buying iPad's or iPhones and then says seeee nobody buys iPod's anymore... and then they axe's them, the Classic still had a 320x240 screen, like are you kidding me, they should of kept the click wheel games and gave it a 480x320 screen years ago not to mention the lightning connector and maybe even wifi just for wireless syncing and like game leaderboards and such, maybe not wifi but for sure lightning like everything else got, but that would of pulled like 2% of sales away from more profitable iPod touches so they just let it get old, now they are doing the same with the touch, why sell a touch when they can sell more expensive and easily broken iPhones and iPad's. Plus I don't want to pay more for the HD version of games, I suppose I could find someone selling their 5S and just use it as an iPod but I would still only get 64gb. I can pick up a new 128gb A7 iPad mini 2 for $450 but then again am I really going to use this every day for music in my car and while walking around? Probably not, I could I'm just not sure.

While I'm at it I'm guna rant some more lol. The shuffle, great little simple device... 2gb..... 2gb its 2014 for $49 you should get 4 and 8 for a little more, and the Nano should have a better screen and a 32gb option for $179, now I realize that with just music 16gb is a lot for most people but they do display videos and photos. I just feel like they are letting everything fall to the wayside in the name of progress and buying Beats.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

A5 - 1. playing games, 2. it barely runs ios 8 and 3. its flipping 3-4 years old already and will be obsolete soon, don't need the A8 but the A7 in everything else (Air, mini 2/3, 5S) would be nice.

We were talking about the iPod touch as an *iPod,* primarily for music playing, based on your first post. Moving the goalposts does change things, but nobody said Apple isn't ever going to update the iPod touch ... I took pains to point that out in my initial posts about the Touch's future. I fully expect a spec bump, but hard to know when.

its 2014 why should I not be able to fit all my music on one device?

Because you wouldn't pay what Apple charged for >128GB storage iPod touch, and neither would anyone else. Also please see my point about swapping out music, you just made my argument for me.

I really don't have that much, about 30 gigs as of now, fills my 64 tho when you add in pics and apps.

So it's Apple's fault that you can't manage the balance of music, pics and apps, again given how much time there is in a day and how few of those items you could possibly experience in that time frame. Got it.

Reaction score
I fit a vast amount of stuff on my iPod but keep in mind, particularly with my photos, that if I don't clear them off regularly I am very likely to lose them.

The same with music and videos. I have my favorites and cycle through new stuff every now and then, and I can't possibly have everything on my iPod, nor want to.

I have an iPod because I deliberately make it harder on myself to use up data and calls, and I do not want to feel too bad at the inevitable lose of the gadget, either damaged, stolen or mislaid. It has been out in the rain and under the lawn mower already, so I am running on borrowed time. I've lost two phones and my sons have had to repair their iPhones 3 times between them for a total cost greater than my iPod touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We were talking about the iPod touch as an *iPod,* primarily for music playing, based on your first post. Moving the goalposts does change things, but nobody said Apple isn't ever going to update the iPod touch ... I took pains to point that out in my initial posts about the Touch's future. I fully expect a spec bump, but hard to know when.
Well I got into ios gaming cuz of the touch, I almost got a Classic back in the day but the 320x240 vs the 960x640 was the deal breaker.

I don't think they will update it, I really hope they do but 3 years on the same device and the death of the classic, its the jumping to a 4.7" screen that made them not redesign the iPod but still with 12 year olds having iPhones and nobody using MP3's anymore, everyone just wants there Spotify for free I don't really see them bothering with it.

Because you wouldn't pay what Apple charged for >128GB storage iPod touch, and neither would anyone else. Also please see my point about swapping out music, you just made my argument for me.
But I would, I'd happily pay $500 for a 128gb A7 touch, but you are right most people wouldn't, I think they should do what they did before with the 4th and 5th gen and are doing with iPads right now and have both, 5th gen 16 for $200 and 32 for $249 with the 32 6th gen at $300 the 64 for $400 and the 128 for $500, if they needed to charge that much, iPads are about that or less.

So it's Apple's fault that you can't manage the balance of music, pics and apps, again given how much time there is in a day and how few of those items you could possibly experience in that time frame. Got it.
Sooo whats that one song? ohyeah you have it? no my ipod was full its at home on my computer........ iPods worthless.... but it's not even that it is apples fault for putting 128 in everything but the iPod. I'm glad they finally went to 128 they had been at 64 for over 6 years, most phones or music players on the market have built in memory plus they can take a 64gb micro SD or even a 128.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
One advantage the iPod Touch has over the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus is that many health & fitness types use their iPod or iPhone strapped to their arm as both a music player & a workout computer; both the iPhone 6, and definitely the 6 Plus, are too wide to fit on most people's arm.

A "stretched" iPod Touch with a 2.4:1 ratio 5.1" (640x1536) screen would still be narrow enough, while adding extra screen real estate and allowing it to be thinner & lighter, but would also make it quite a bit more fragile...

C

chas_m

everyone just wants there Spotify for free I don't really see them bothering with it

Spotify is actually $10 a month, and frankly IMO the people who pay that are suckers. The day they decide they can't afford it anymore, boom all their music is gone.

I'd love to see a 4.7-inch iPod touch, and perhaps we will at some point, but I think the Touch is undergoing something of a "rethink" at Apple rather than being killed off. Still, it's very clear that its not a high priority for the company, and the current iPod touch is both distinct from the iPhone 6 in design as well as remaining perfectly functional, so it still appeals to its shrinking target market.

Sooo whats that one song? ohyeah you have it? no my ipod was full its at home on my computer........ iPods worthless....

OR you could, you know, spend $25 on iTunes Match. Problem (forever) solved. Or Spotify (et al), which works fine on an iPod touch as long as you're in Wi-Fi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.