Should I upgrade to iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 or hold off for a bit longer?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Whenever Apple comes out with their latest iOS, I am reluctant to upgrade immediately. iOS 8 is no exception especially with the issues it's been having.

Since they just released iOS 8.2, I'm wondering if it is safe to upgrade on my iPhone 5 or should I wait a bit longer?

Also what is your experience with your iPhone 5 if you upgraded already?

Thanks all! Have a great day!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No problems here with my iPhone 5C and iOS 8.0.2. And please watch which forum you post to. Thread has been moved here to the correct forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi all,

Whenever Apple comes out with their latest iOS, I am reluctant to upgrade immediately. iOS 8 is no exception especially with the issues it's been having.

Since they just released iOS 8.2, I'm wondering if it is safe to upgrade on my iPhone 5 or should I wait a bit longer?

Also what is your experience with your iPhone 5 if you upgraded already?

Thanks all! Have a great day!!

Well, it's a 'crap shoot' at the moment - I frequent this forum and the iPad Forums - some members have no problems w/ the upgrade to iOS 8.0.2, while others have been cussing right & left - for myself, I upgraded my iPad 2 to the iOS mentioned - first did a cabled connection to my MBPro and a backup, then the upgrade - no problem (although slow) - I've had just minor issues w/ some apps (likely needing upgrades to the new iOS).

Wife has an iPad Mini - I'm reluctant to upgrade her yet (no demanding need until Yosemite comes out for her iMac), so I'll wait for another minor revision or two - SO, bottom line is that no one can make you decide when to do the upgrade - completely your decision based on your own brain - Dave :)

Reaction score
My dad has an iPad 3rd generation and he upgraded to 8.0.2 and he doesn't experience any issues so far. It pretty much acts like it was when on 7.1.2 I'd say go ahead since its on an iPhone 5 and hearing that it runs fine on the 5c it should run just the same.

C

chas_m

You can certainly wait if you like. I'm not having any issues with 8.0.2 on my third-gen iPad or iPhone 5s, but iOS 8.1 is likely to come out later this month (presumably alongside the official Yosemite release), so you can wait for that if you prefer.

Reaction score
Im of the group of people who think it's always best to wait after a new OS comes out.

I used to wait about 2 weeks or until the first update came out. This time around, I still havent let anyone in my household update their stuff. Especially after reading here on this forum that some people wait over a month as a precaution.

We have iPhone 5S's & a iPad3.... just wondering if we should update or keep things as they are? Ive read online that many with 5's have wished they stayed with iOS7 due to poor battery life with iOS8.

The general sentiment in this thread seems to be that it's ok to make the move.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
FYI, there is no option to select the iOS category for when starting a thread from the home page.

Yes I too notice this, I must be missing something but these are the only categories available in new posts;

Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 12.21.43 pm.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
FYI, there is no option to select the iOS category for when starting a thread from the home page.

However, when you're at the Home page you can see all the forums listed and descriptions. The iOS and Apps forum is clearly marked. You're supposed to choose the forum first that best fits your question before deciding on posting a new thread. ;)

Reaction score
You're supposed to choose the forum first that best fits your question before deciding on posting a new thread. ;)

Do u think people are purposely trying not to put their threads in the right category?

Why not give them the ability to "chose the forum that best fits their question" by adding it to the drop down section? Easy fix and then u dont have to worry about noobs messing up.

The noobs are making a completely honest mistake and it makes perfect sense why they make it. Keep blaming them and the problem will persist. Or the programmers of this site/forum can look in the mirror and fix things on their end and I doubt you will see many more mis-categorized threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.