Should I get a powerbook of iBook, I'm not sure

OP
B

Bohemian

Eh, I changed my mind...again.

It's either the 14 inch iBook with superdrive or 15 inch powerbook with the combo drive.

I need help choosing. Aaaah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I highley recomend the Powerbook 15" with a 1 gig of ram. Its what i have and its incredible.

OP
S

Subzero3886

Advice please

iDVFH. said:
Although the Powerbook is obviously the better looking one (15" display, back-lit keyboard etc.) I would suggest the iBook and get at least 768 MB of RAM..the Powerbook is really made for a business person that is using it for heavier duties other than chatting , web surfing etc. You will love the iBook..i LOVE mine lol

If this is what Ill be doing on my laptop, is 512 mb of RAM enough: Instant Messaging, Sarfari, Microsoft Word/ Powerpoint, cd burning, itunes, ical...?

OP
S

Subzero3886

PowerBookG4 said:
I highley recomend the Powerbook 15" with a 1 gig of ram. Its what i have and its incredible.

IM considering getting a Powerbook 15'' w/ superdrives as well. I'd just like a review from an owner first because its a big investment. Also If this is what Ill be doing on my laptop, is 512 mb of RAM enough: Instant Messaging, Sarfari, Microsoft Word/ Powerpoint, cd burning, itunes, ical...? I mean if I dont get the 1 gb upgrade... and i find i'd like it to run faster I could always buy the 1 gig RAM memory upgrade later? Right

OP
B

Bohemian

Any other opinions?

Has anyone tried games on the PB 15 inch? How do they look?

OP
S

StarDrifter

Okay, I'm here to offer my opinion.

I am the proud owner of a 15" powerbook with combo drive with 512MB RAM. I've had it for about a month.

For those who mentioned above that are considering an iBook, my advice is that if you have the money and can afford it, get the 15" powerbook. IMO it is a better built unit than the iBook, and the general features are better all round - which I won't go into since you've all done your research. Even the hinge of the screen is built well - the joint spans nearly the length of the edge whereas in the iBook, the hinge is just 2 sections that are joined. I don't know if I'm clear in the explanation, but if you look at it you'll know what i mean.

Overall, I think the powerbook just looks so much better and is built with better materials. This keyboard is a joy to type on. However, if you're tight on money, the ibook is still a good buy. But like i said earlier, if you have the money and can afford it, the powerbook is a better choice and you will probably keep it longer because you won't find it slows down as quickly as the ibook when you're doing more tasks on it.

As to the 12" or the 15" - I would recommend the 15. I was considering the 12 before settling for the 15. My reason for that is because I think the 12 although very compact, screen real estate is lacking and I might regret it later. Weight difference is minimal. The 15 is thinner, and even though it's bigger, you won't really be carrying it around without a case so the extra size isn't going to make a huge difference when you're carrying a hand case. Weight would make a difference if you're lugging around something heavy but as I said weight difference is minimal. The LCD display on the 15 also looks crisper than the 12. it's more expensive, so again i say if you've got the money and can afford it, go for the 15.

As for the 2 standard options - I went for the 1.5Ghz and combo drive. I don't think the 0.17GHz extra speed is worth the extra money, and as for the superdrive, i won't be using the laptop for burning discs (in fact I am yet to burn a CD on here). I've still got my PC and it's so much cheaper to get a dvd burner drive for the PC. If I do for some reason want to author a dvd on the mac, I can always transfer it over to the PC for burning.

As for memory, I went with 512 because I don't do any extensive video or image editing so it's not going to require so much memory. 512 is running fine with no noticeable problems with what I do - internet, chatting, word, excel.

If later the need arises, can always add another 512 RAM. Proabably cheaper to get it from someone else too than direct from apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4
Hey, it all depends what you want to do on your Mac, is it worth spending all that extra money on a PB when infact you don't really need all that power, where you could spend that on extras for your iBook really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.