Should I get a Powebook G4 or iBook G3?

Reaction score
First off, thanks if you are reading this.

I am a mac user of about 1 year. I have a Macbook Pro as my computer at work. I was thinking about trading a guitar I have for an apple computer for my personal use. I have been offered 2 and am trying to decide which one, if either, would be suitable. My guitar has a value of $400-500.

Here is what I was offered:

Powerbook G4 Titanium, 15.4" LCD, 867mhz CPU, 30 GB HDD, CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 1GB RAM, Airport Card, OS X 10.3.9, Cosmetically 7 out of 10

OR

iBook G3, 14", 800mhz CPU, 30 GB HDD, 640 MB RAM, Airport Card, OS X 10.2.8, CD-RW/DVD combo drive, Cosmetically 9 out of 10.

Is either of these machines worth $400-500? If so, would it be better to take a PB in worse shape or an almost perfect iBook that is a little slower.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
How important is screen resolution to you? The iBook has a smaller screen, and IIRC only goes to 1024x768, plus driving an external monitor is a pain.

The Powerbook has more RAM, so that will make a difference, plus I'm pretty sure the PB will have the wide screen.

Unless portability are more important to you (which it might, iBooks a real small for their vintage) I'd go with the Powerbook all things being (un)equal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.