Should I add RAM, or just buy a new iMac?

Reaction score
I was given an iMac mid-2007 24", which has only one GB of RAM. This machine will take up to 4 GB of RAM. Should I buy the additional RAM, or just bag it and buy a newer Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I was given an iMac mid-2007 24", which has only one GB of RAM. This machine will take up to 4 GB of RAM. Should I buy the additional RAM, or just bag it and buy a newer Mac?

Hello & welcome to the forum! :)

Now I'm not one of the hardware gurus here but 8 GB RAM is usually suggested for running Mavericks and the same will apply to Yosemite when released officially, SO if you want to run the most modern Apple OS Xs, then yes you'll need a new machine - a 7 y/o computer is ancient (think 'dog years') - ;) Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
RAM is cheap, and useable and your iMac still has some very good use.
I would get the RAM use the iMac until you want another one, re-sell that for the asking price. or even keep that iMac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Officially, those models only take 4GB. Unofficially, they are known to be able to run with 6GB (a 2GB stick paired with a 4GB stick).
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.4-24-inch-aluminum-specs.html

Now, whether or not you should keep it depends on your plans and expectations for it. Personally I'd sell it and get something newer, but if this is just a new "toy" to experiment with, then max out the RAM, maybe swap the HDD for a cheap, used SSD, and have at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And I'm with Life. Sell it and get a new one. So much faster and better and make sure it is 8GB.

C

chas_m

It depends on your needs. If you're an "email, facebook, light games" sort of person, max out the RAM and hang onto it while you save up for a newer machine.

If you're at any level much higher than that, sell this one to a more basic user and buy yourself something new(er).

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave, I know you're right. I think I'll add the RAM and then give it to my daughter.
Ken

Thanks, Banesto, I will add the RAM, then give this Mac to my daughter when I'm ready to upgrade.

Thanks, Life,
6 GB of RAM sounds like more fun than 4. Can I install that RAM myself, or do I have to take the box to the Apple Store?

Thanks, Harry. I think I'll take Life's clue and load 6 GB of RAM, Then, when I'm ready to upgrade to a new machine, I'll give this one to my daughter.

Thanks, Chas,
I may want to do some video editing, so I really should have at least 8 GB of RAM, if not 16. I'll make do with this machine for a while and save up for something with more muscle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
6 GB of RAM sounds like more fun than 4. Can I install that RAM myself, or do I have to take the box to the Apple Store?

Review the guide on iFixit and see if you are up to the task. This one should be yours:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel_24"_EMC_2134_and_2211

We generally recommend getting your RAM from Otherworld Computing. Just plug in your model and they'll list the compatible modules.
Apple iMac Memory Upgrades for 17", 20", and 24" Models equipped with Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz, 2.33GHz, 2.4GHz or Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks, Dave, I know you're right. I think I'll add the RAM and then give it to my daughter.

Hi Ken - not sure which OS is now on the machine nor which would be suggested for an upgrade after the RAM is added? I only go back to Mountain Lion 10.8.x, so hopefully our experienced members might suggest the 'best' OS X for your 'beefed up' computer - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.