Shortcuts/Files retaining their icons

Reaction score
I've posted this before, but the issue has recently popped up again. I like to have different icons for important files in my Documents folder. One such file is my "checkbook" (which is really just a transaction register). This is an Excel file.

I've noticed that while ALL my other files retain their icons no matter how many times I open them, the Excel file will always eventually return to the default Excel icon. Is there a way to prevent this, or is it a Microsoft thing?

For what it's worth, the program itself never loses its custom icon (in other words, I changed the program's icon and it has never gone back to default...just the files it creates).

Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I found logging out and then back in as soon as i have changed my icons, they stay the same.
If i dont then certain icons, dont change or revert back to normal not long after. Might be a help if you dont log out then in again :)

OP
T
Reaction score
I've tried this before...which icons gave you trouble before? For me, they just seem to be the Microsoft Office icons. I just wonder if the program "checks" itself from time to time to make sure the MS default icon is being used.

Yeah, it's pretty silly when I think about it...but I can't understand why the custom icons won't stick.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, it's happened again. I am wondering if it happens at random intervals, or a set number of times after you open the file...because this is my balance ledger, I open it quite a few times a week.

Still no ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.