Shift key working as Alt key

dag

Reaction score
Ive a very unusual problem with my 13" macbook pro mid 2010. For the last few months my left shift key acts in the exact same way as an alt key eg shift and a give me Å. The right shift key performs normally but id prefer the left shift key to work properly. Anybody got any ideas how to rectify this? Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any spills on the keyboard? If not, it might be a dirty contact or sticking. You can try cleaning around it with a can of compressed air. No liquids!

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Any chance some keyboard remapped got installed and enabled like KeyRemap4Macbook etc.

Also you can enable and get Keyboard Viewer to show via Keyboard System Prefs and watch what key(s) appear to be pressed or not, or just stuck.

OP
D

dag

Reaction score
Definitely no spills and have tried cleaning under the button. When the problem first occurred i could fix it by pressing alt and shift together but this only work temporarily

OP
D

dag

Reaction score
When i enable Keyboard viewer it shows that the shift button is pressed with the alt button and vice versa. Anybody any ideas how to rectify this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd be inclined to suggest checking out ifixit.com etc. for your Mac and its keyboard and how to pop off the key covers _ CAREFULLY!!!, and then use some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol with some q-tips and/or toothpicks and see if you can't clean up what's causing them to stick.

I'd avoid the sites that might suggest removing the keyboard and putting it through your dishwasher's cycle!! At least until no other fixes work!! ;)

PS: Depending on your eyesight, you may want to use a pair or model or jewelers magnifying glasses or headband as it doesn't take much to miss what might be causing the sticking. And it could even be a broken plastic spring piece.

Good luck …. ;D

OP
D

dag

Reaction score
I'd be inclined to suggest checking out ifixit.com etc. for your Mac and its keyboard and how to pop off the key covers _ CAREFULLY!!!, and then use some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol with some q-tips and/or toothpicks and see if you can't clean up what's causing them to stick.

I'd avoid the sites that might suggest removing the keyboard and putting it through your dishwasher's cycle!! At least until no other fixes work!! ;)

PS: Depending on your eyesight, you may want to use a pair or model or jewelers magnifying glasses or headband as it doesn't take much to miss what might be causing the sticking. And it could even be a broken plastic spring piece.

Good luck …. ;D

Thanks so much ill give it a try

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.