Sharing Laserwriter from 8.6 to Mac/PC's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Possible? Here's what's on the network.

Various XP Laptops, Desktops
iMac 17" 1.25 Ghz
PowerBook 12" 1.33 GHz

Combination of Airport Extreme wireless, and cabled ethernet to servers in the work shop. I have a couple printers shared off of OS X in the house, and they work fine between Mac/WinXP. I have a Laserwriter 300 in the shop connected via cable to a PowerMac 7600/120 (soon to upgrade to G3) but it's running OS 8.6. I put the Desktop Printer Utility on it so I can print to my Laserwriter in the house, off the OS X iMac, works fine. Can I print the other direction to the PM 7600 OS 8.6? I installed AppleTalk protocol in Windows 2000/XP machines, but can't find the AppleTalk zone, of course I'm not using zones, but AppleTalk over ethernet.

Is this possible? I can't use LPR unless there's an extension I don't know about for OS 8.6, but other than that I can't think of anything.

It's really a project to see if I can do it, but if I can print on the 'ol LaserWriter in the shop, then I have a printer I can use out there instead of having to walk a few hundred feet to get the printouts from in the house. :) Would like to use it, since I just brought it back from the dead. :)

r/
-IanCT

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Can't do it

Found out I can't do it. Since the Personal Laserwriter doesn't support PostScript, I can't share it out from the LaserWriter since the drivers I could find are PS only. I can share it from a Windows PC with a serial cable, but I didn't wanna do that. It was just one of those things I wanted to try and see if it would work. Not a big deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.