Shared Mac in Finder sidebar

Reaction score
I have reset my old Mac prior to passing it on to a local charity, I reinstalled High Sierra and when I booted it up for the first time it immediately reconnected me to my network (I had to connect to wi-fi to reinstall the OS).

I have removed the email accounts, changed the username and password and disabled iCloud but there's still a shared computer with my name in the Finder sidebar. How do I remove this permanently? I can hide it but not remove or rename it. Any ideas please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you disconnect from the network, do you still see the shared computer?

Maybe provide a screenshot?

OP
Gren
Reaction score
If you disconnect from the network, do you still see the shared computer?

Maybe provide a screenshot?

I discovered after I posted the thread that it disappeared when I turned off the wi-fi so I assume it won't reappear when connected to a different account. I'm not in a position to post a screenshot now I'm afraid.

Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
Gren
Reaction score
Hi Gren

Nice to hear from you again.

Without offence, I presume you followed the steps laid out by Apple for preparing your Mac for resale or gifting to a charity? What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

I only point you in this direction in case some part was forgotten.

Ian

Hello Ian

Thanks, I did all those things apart from signing out of iMessage but did set up the Mac with a new, anonymous user as I wanted to make sure it was functioning properly before parting with it.

All the best, Gren

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.