Setting up new iMac using files from semi-dead 2010 imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 iMac
Old iMac black screen of death. Waiting for new iMac to arrive. Used old one in target mode and recovered all files and put them on an external drive. Have Time machine backup but it is 5 months old. Should I just drag and drop important files, apps, filed mail, contacts,etc or somehow incorporate Time machine in the process. I can reinstall the major apps like Microsoft Office. Advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The drag and drop is what you should use. Do not use a Time Machine backup that is old. Time Machine backups are excellent for migration but they do have to be current.

Seems like you know what it is you should do. Just press on as you wrote above. And we moved this thread to the correct forum. (macOS.....)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
May I tag on a closely related question here, please?

My dear old friend (84) is getting a brand new Apple iMac in a few days. His current iMac is around 2010, but more relevant, it still runs Snow Leopard. He has an up-to-date TM backup.

As I shall be supervising/doing the "setting up the new iMac" thing, my intention was to restore from TM in the clear understanding that there will be incompatibilities which will not transfer.

He has no third party apps as far as I know. It's really email, Photos, settings, that sort of thing. Does that seem a sensible approach.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not restore, migrate. When he powers up the iMac for the first time, it will ask for some setup questions--language, region, etc. Then it will offer to migrate data. Pick the "yes" answer, whatever that is in the options. Then point to the TM backup and choose what to migrate. (Apps, probably not. Mail, files, etc, probably yes). When it is done, it will offer his same login screen to use the same login and password he uses now. Check it' all good, reinstall the apps that work and you are done.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you, Sir. Best to do it properly, Jake.

Quite frankly, apart from emails, photos and a very few Docs, I might have suggested starting afresh with a clean machine.

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 iMac
The drag and drop is what you should use. Do not use a Time Machine backup that is old. Time Machine backups are excellent for migration but they do have to be current.

Seems like you know what it is you should do. Just press on as you wrote above. And we moved this thread to the correct forum. (macOS.....)
Thanks a lot! You are correct that I was planning to do drag and drop but happy to have a second opinion. Yes, I have setup several new macs that way. I was the computer go-to guy in my former job. Retired now.
Have a good one and thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.