Setting up iPad to only play a video

Reaction score
Is there any way to make iPad to play only video? Either just by unlocking iPad, or by clicking an icon (the only icon on the first window) to start playing a video automatically?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Is there any way to make iPad to play only video? Either just by unlocking iPad, or by clicking an icon (the only icon on the first window) to start playing a video automatically?

Hello & welcome to the forum! :) First, I'm not sure what you mean by 'to play only video', i.e. do you want just the picture w/o sound or something else?

Second, do you want to play the video on your iPad or on another device, such as a HDTV? Before I continue, you'll have to explain your needs much more specifically. Dave

OP
H
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! :) First, I'm not sure what you mean by 'to play only video', i.e. do you want just the picture w/o sound or something else?

Second, do you want to play the video on your iPad or on another device, such as a HDTV? Before I continue, you'll have to explain your needs much more specifically. Dave

Hey,

I would want the iPad to be able to play only video if possible.

If not, I would want to have some sort of icon on the main screen, which after touching/clicking would open a video. The video has to be on the iPad, not anywhere online.

I want to make a surprise for my future fiancée.

Thx

C

chas_m

1. Sync the video to the iPad.
2. Open the Videos app, and select the video in question.
3. Put the iPad to sleep.
4. Hand the iPad to your partner.
5. Depending on how long it has been asleep, they will be presented with the video app ready to play, or with a swipe to unlock and THEN the video app ready to play.

Will that do?

OP
H
Reaction score
1. Sync the video to the iPad.
2. Open the Videos app, and select the video in question.
3. Put the iPad to sleep.
4. Hand the iPad to your partner.
5. Depending on how long it has been asleep, they will be presented with the video app ready to play, or with a swipe to unlock and THEN the video app ready to play.

Will that do?

I would have to test it, but that's a great idea.
The iPad will be in the "Airplane Mode" so should not drain the battery.

It will be untouched for 1-7 days.

The iPad will be sent with mail/FedEx.

If there are any possible ways, even more advanced, I would want to know them.

Is is possible to create a "shortcut"/alias on iPad to a video file?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.