Setting up iPad mail accounts issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
2nd generation iPad. Having trouble with setting up my e-mail accounts on my iPad. Using the Apple Mail app.

Two e-mail accounts involved. Accounts are optimum. The “master” account is first and last name together ([email protected]), while the second is initials and last name ([email protected]).

Setting up the second account with [email protected] seems to be the problem.

I noticed the outgoing mail server information is different. Could this be where the problem lies? Or something else?
  • On the account that works it has: SMTP . . . . . . mail.optonline.net
  • On the account that is not working: Host Name . . . . . mail.optonline.net
I’m stumped.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What does "Master account" mean? For each address, the email service provider, "xxx" in your example, will have settings for servers. They may or may not be the same, if "xxx" is the same for both email addresses.

What does "seems to be the problem" mean? What problems? Is it logging in properly to the proper server? Is it not sending but receiving ok? Is it not able to receive but can send? What???

SMTP is "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" and uses a server for sending, typically, although it has been used for receiving as well. So SMTP and Host Name are two different things, probably. Most email services have a setup section where you can get the various server names and information. So, have you been to "xxx" to see what help they might have for setup? I see "optonline.net" in your post, is that the provider?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@fireman0174

When you set up a new email account there are 3 different areas where you need to input your Password.

Open Mail > Settings > Accounts > Server Settings.

You will see "Incoming Mail Server" (IMAP) and "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP). You need ti input your PW under each one.

Then under "Outgoing Mail Server", you might see "Account" alongside to your right, two arrowheads. Click on them and from the dropdown, choose "Edit SMTP Server List" then input your PW for the appropriate account - this being the third time in total that you need to input your PW.

Of course, your exact settings may differ from mine, but the principle is the same.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.