Setting up a Server . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ok. I have never been big into the Networking and Server side of computing, and this is about one of the only things, where there isn't a lot online about "How to Set up a Server". Apple have stopped making the Mac Mini Server, so I'm out of luck there, so I'm looking for some answers.
I mucked around a few years ago with Snow Leopard, and I remember when I set the server up on my main MBP, I started having issues with it, with everything out of sync, it never played nice when I did normal surfing on it, it played havoc with my network (something with setting a Static IP on my MBP) and it was a disaster, to the point I had to do a clean install of SL.

1. Can I set up a Server on a Ext HD running off my iMac with a USB3 cable ??
2. Will it work if I set it up as WebDAV and FTP ??
3. Will I be able to host my own Website on it ??
4. Is it easier to set up than it was 4 yrs ago ??

As you can see, I'm clueless. I primarily want it set up with WebDAV and FTP as I do a lot of work on my MBP and want to be able to transfer files to and from without being encumbered.
As I said, there isn't a great deal online so any info would help, but mainly Q1, will it work on a Ext HD off my iMac ??

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What do you mean by "working on" an eHD? Server software runs off your primary install so if that's on an eHD, you can do that.

The easiest way (although not free) is to use OS X Server. It's got mixed reviews but if you're just doing basic stuff, it might be the way to go.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I did buy OS X Server and installed that on a Ext HD.

Meaning will it run from a external HD, that has Yosemite installed on it, and connected via cable ?? I did install it tonight, and all was well, set up FTP and SFTP and could connect via Transmit on my iPad, and logged in via ssh through Prompt, but as soon as I restarted and logged into my iMac, ( no server installed) I can't access it via FTP or ssh, it comes up with a error. I can however find my iMac and ssh into it, but the Server on a Ext HD can't be seen.

I'm now thinking it has to be installed on the running OS for it to work ?? I'll have to look at it again tomorrow as time is getting away from me now and kids want to watch movies . . ..

Sent from my iPad using Mac Forums

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, I think this will be a lot easier to do if the server software is running on the machine that you're using as your server. Is there any particular reason that you're running the server software off of an eHD?

Is the server software running off an eHD connected to the iMac or a different machine? I, unlike you, am experiencing the day coming at me full force and I'm waiting for this coffee to help me so I may have missed this. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
From what I am gathering you installed the server OS on an external hard drive that is attached to an iMac that has Yosemite on its boot drive. When you installed the server OS on the external hard drive you could set it up (in effect you made the OS drive the external - temporarily.) When you shut the computer down and restarted, Yosemite, which is on the internal main hard drive, loaded but the server app didn't.

From what I am reading the server app is able to be installed with Yosemite. It is intended to convert your computer into a "lite" server giving you server-like services. When you installed did the app encourage or indicate using an external hard drive would be the best option? I have a feeling it needs to be on the main boot drive.

I also see the reviews are mixed and some are raving the server app is great while others are saying it does not work with Yosemite. Given the fact some people are having no problems with Yosemite and others are, I would not be surprised that there are issues.

I would recommend a very good back up and then reinstalling the server app on the main drive and go from there. I will be curious to see what you come up with. :D

Servers are funny thngs..they can run flawlessly or drive you nuts. The two windows servers I have at work are running flawlessly and I tell them daily what good girls they are. ;D

Lisa

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Van you needed more coffee and I needed sleep haha

@Lisa that is totally correct. And I am now thinking the same as you,math it needing to be on a "live" HD which sadly isn't. I used the external, bc it is a Samsung 840 SSD and thought it would work quicker, which,Mehdi booted, flew, transferring 1gb file in a instant........
Have to do a little shopping 100kms away now,so I'll revisit it, on my return, and install it on the iMac itself.
Thanks for the input. . . . .

Sent from my iPad using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.