Serious and Common iOS Bug!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I can see, it's not on my iPhone either. I use T-Mobile and have the "over 55" plan which gives us 2 lines of unlimited data and texts. ($60/month including taxes and fees.)

I guess it's something that may only be available with certain carriers. Jake uses Verizon so they apparently have it.

Cur

Reaction score
Did I miss the answer to this? How can one stop this data "leak"?

Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I wonder if it's a sim card vs CDMA thing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wonder if it's a sim card vs CDMA thing?

I don't think that would matter since all the later model iPhones from Apple will do both GSM and CDMA.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
Did I miss the answer to this? How can one stop this data "leak"?

Go back and read the original article:

Apple Just Gave Millions Of Users A Reason To Quit Their iPhones

The answer is that there is no way to stop the data leak. NOT EVEN TURNING OFF CELLULAR DATA slows it down.

If you aren't on an unlimited data plan, and your carrier is charging you a lot of money for cellular data that you haven't used, you should complain to them. Your carrier isn't the one who caused the leak, and they can't fix the leak (only Apple can), but I can tell you as an attorney that your carrier is what's know as "in privity of contract" with Apple and you, which means that they are just as responsible for this leak as Apple is. So at the minimum they are obligated to take the bogus charges off of your bill.

Edit: I should note that the original article is being updated almost daily. AT&T, Verizon and Apple are all aware of the existence of the bug. If you are being charged a lot for data you didn't use, you should refer your carrier's tech support to the original article.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
On the other hand, the data I have seen used is small, 36.5 K (K not M or G) bytes over three days. At that pace it should be 360K per month. For most of us, that's probably not much impact, but if it gets larger, or you have a tiny plan, it could be sufficient to trigger action. For now, I'm ignoring it. I'm on a 10GB/month plan and at 13 days in have used about 1.3G. I use most of that driving, when I'm streaming music and using GPS for 4-5 hours a week. I also have use a bit of data through the hotspot function as I have been visiting someone in hospital this month for an overnight each week and use data until I can get to the hotel and get back on WiFi. So my usage is up over my "typical" month but even so, 360K is not enough for me to get worked up. Monitor, yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I also have the Reset Statistics on my Verizon phone.

Pete

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
Thank you Randy!

My pleasure!

Turns out that I have some unexpected extra time on my hands. I'll be visiting Mac-Forums more often for the next few weeks. :)

If you have questions about Mac topics that you've always wanted answered, or things that you always wanted to learn about, now is a good time to ask about them.

On my Mac user group discussion list I've been giving tips on how to make Microsoft Word work for you rather than the other way around. It's been shocking popular. If folks would like something like that, this is a good time to ask for it.

Let's all get through this together!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My wife had 32Mb of data there and on her XS there is a Reset Statistics button at the bottom which although the item remains it now shows no data. Mine (iPhone 7) had 1.2Gb also reset in the same way.
I'm puzzled you don't have the Reset Statistics button Randy, what iOS are you on?

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
I'm puzzled you don't have the Reset Statistics button Randy, what iOS are you on?

I have the very latest OS. It seems to be a T-Mobile thing not to have a Reset Statistics button.

On the other hand, uninstalled apps is only taking up a scant few KB on my own iPhone and I have an unlimited data plan.

I didn't mention this iOS bug because it's something that's effecting me personally. From the feedback that I've received, there is a very wide range of disparity between one user to the next as to how hard they are hit by this bug. Some folks refuse to believe that it is a real thing, and others are literally watching as their phone consumes many MB of data for no apparent reason right in front of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.