Sending old MacBook batteries (NOT the entire computer) to Apple for recycling?

Reaction score
I have two completely defunct batteries from some 2008 MacBooks.

On the following Apple website page, they talk about recycling batteries:

However, when I go to actually request a shipping label to send them in for recycling, I don't see an option for just "batteries" (see screenshot below). Closest I can think to select would be "Power Cords & Cables" but I'm not sure if that would be ok. Anyone sent just batteries to Apple for recycling before? How did you categorize it?

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.01.55 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe you can send batteries by themselves to Apple for recycling. At least I've never heard of doing it that way.

Don't know where you live but if there is a "Batteries Plus" store nearby they should be able to recycle old batteries for you. Otherwise try Best Buy as they are an authorized Apple Repair service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
In the UK at unconnected batteries cannot be sent in the mail or with the usual couriers.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess I don't see what difference it would make whether the battery is inside a computer or by itself (I've also ordered replacement batteries on eBay that get shipped to me by themselves...but I'm not in the UK). Guess I'll try the Batteries Plus idea.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33 GHz PowerPC iBook G4 512 Mb RAM
Lithium batteries are not supposed to be loaded onto commercial planes without permission. A fair amount of mail gets loaded onto commercial aircraft.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't off hand remember if it was FedEx or another cargo carrier... but some years ago a fire which was started from Lithium batteries on board brought an aircraft down. It was a cargo version of a 747 and the entire crew was lost. The aircraft was flying out of a Middle Eastern airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It was a Fedex cargo plane. Now lithium batteries can only go ground unless in a system with protective circuits and/or in an approved fireproof container. So Apple can, for example, fly hardware from China to the US with lithium batteries inside because it's in a device, but bare batteries have to be specially handled. Most arrive by ship.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.