Selling mid 2010 macbook po how much should I?

Reaction score
I am thinking of selling my mid 2010 macbook pro, it an i7, 4GB of ram, 15 inch with a nividia card, and 15 inch matt screen.

I also have paralells installed with windows xp and windows 7 on it and various mac software.

Should I do a clean install of the os? wipe it clean and start fresh? which os should I reinstall on it? the one it came with? in this case it came with snowleopard 10.6.8. Or install a newer one on it?

or would I get more with parallels on it?

C

chas_m

Unless you're transferring the license of Parallels, Windows XP and the other software you mentioned over to the new owner, you can't really include it legally nor advertise that the machine comes with it, since you're then giving them pirated software which won't work for them in terms of support, upgrading and could even get them (and eventually you) in legal trouble.

You should do a clean install of the OS and then turn the machine off after it restarts and gets to the part about choosing a language. If you have the original discs that came with it, Install 10.6.8 from them and give them to the buyer. They can opt to keep it at 10.6.8 or upgrade, but the software will be theirs.

You might get more for it if you include Parallels, but you'll need to at a dead minimum include the DVD you installed it from and remove all traces of your own install.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Should I do a clean install of the os? wipe it clean and start fresh? which os should I reinstall on it? the one it came with? in this case it came with snowleopard 10.6.8. Or install a newer one on it?

Wipe the HD…install the newest OS possible.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
ok, thanks, the newest os right now is Yosemite, will that run on a mid 2010 macbook pro?

Also, I have Adobe CS5 suite design premium installed on it, should I find a way to deaurhtorize this software before wiping the hard drive clean? or will wiping it deauthorize it?

I read that Adobe allows their creative suites to be installed on no more than 2 pcs at a time, and if I just wipe the hard drive clean while installed, will it still be registered as installed on a computer?

I will also do a time machine backup before wiping the hard drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, thanks, the newest os right now is Yosemite, will that run on a mid 2010 macbook pro?

Yes.

Also, I have Adobe CS5 suite design premium installed on it, should I find a way to deaurhtorize this software before wiping the hard drive clean? or will wiping it deauthorize it?

Check with Adobe. They're always changing how their ownership/authorization systems work…that it's best to get the exact answer from them.

I will also do a time machine backup before wiping the hard drive.

Always a good idea!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what would be a good starting bid/price on ebay? or for a buy it now?

You didn't give a full set of specs on the computer (cpu speed & # of cores).

But regardless…as far as eBay is concerned…it really doesn't matter what you start the price at ($1.00, $100, $250, etc.). Folks interested in the computer will know what it's worth (there are lots & lots of knowledgeable buyers out there)…which is fine…since this helps get the max. value for it.:)

In my opinion…"Buy It Now" auctions are only useful if you're selling it at a bargain price (it will sell faster). If the "Buy It Now" price is set too close to its actual market value…then (most of the time) it will just sit there. Folks want a bargain!:) But also don't set the reserve price too close to it's actual value either…since again…folks want to think that they're getting a bargain.:)

I would start the bidding at a low price to get the bidding started…put a reserve price on the auction…and know exactly what it is worth so your reserve price is not too low. But realize…many/most eBay auctions for items like this…usually don't see much action until the last 24 hours…and usually a "flurry" of bids will happen in the last 15 minutes…or even last 15 seconds.

To figure out what a typical selling price is…eBay has a feature where you can check previous completed auctions for similar spec'ed units.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
It has an i7 dual core processor at 2.66ghz, 4 gb of ram, 500 hard drive,15 inch matt screen, running 10.6.8 snowleopard.

I also have parallels with windows xp, and windows 7, along ith Adobe CS5 design suite premium.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It has an i7 dual core processor at 2.66ghz, 4 gb of ram, 500 hard drive,15 inch matt screen, running 10.6.8 snowleopard.

I also have parallels with windows xp, and windows 7, along ith Adobe CS5 design suite premium.

You can't legally sell windows xp, and windows 7, along ith Adobe CS5 design suite premium, because by law you own it. So sell the computer only with the latest OS and people will by it. People that want CS5 Design suite will already have it, so you want get extra for the software anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12

If Adobe CS5 is a legitimate and licensed software (correctly de-registered with Adobe and approved for licence transfer), you'd get a much better price for it selling it separately, it will not add much to the sell price of your MBP. If it is not, then you shouldn't even mention / install / list it ...

Windows software, as far as I'm aware, can only be re-sold if it is a full retail version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.