Self Assigned IP Address

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently bought a MacBook Pro (in early April) and have had no problems with it whatsoever. I immediately connected to wireless as soon as I brought it home and there was no fuss at all. I am now in the process of moving to my dad's and when I brought my MacBook over the first time I used an open network to connect to the Internet without problems. The next time, however, I had issues.

I got a message in Airport that said “Airport has a self assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet.” I got this despite the fact that “Using DHCP” was enabled. The IP address was: 169.254.14.208 with a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask. I have used Windows (XP, Vista, 7) my entire life and this is my first Mac so I'm not very knowledgable but I knew this wasn't something I did.

Anyway, I tried an Ethernet connection and this worked for awhile. Every 45-60 minutes or so the connection would time out and I'd have to leave it for about half an hour and then reconnect. Now, however, I'm receiving the same self assigned IP address message as I did with Airport. Upon a Google search (on my iPhone, ironically) I discovered that this a common problem amongst Mac users.

I tried various things to solve my problem including:

-Power cycling
-Creating a new location (other than Automatic)
-Restarting my MacBook
-Putting in a 192.xxx.xxx.x.x IP address manually
-Renewing the DHCP lease
-Turning off Airport
-Deleting Airport
-Deleting the Ethernet
-Using Terminal to reset my network settings
-Ensuring the firewall is disabled and allowing all incoming connections
-Unplugging both the modem and the router for a few minutes
-Shutting down my MacBook for a few minutes

Nothing has worked. To make things more complicated, when I attempted to enter a 192.xxx.xxx.x.x IP address manually, a message on the Ethernet port read:
Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.0.103

However, I could not access any websites, sign into Skype, etc. so I was not really connected to the Internet. I can connect at Starbucks, Borders, Barnes & Noble, and various public places that offer free Wi-Fi as well as the house I'm moving from. I'm currently connected to wireless Internet here at my old house just fine. I've seen various threads on the subject but some of them are up to six years old and I haven't seen any from 2011. I was hoping there would be new information and solutions. Thank you.

I'm not sure how relevant this information is but my MacBook Pro has:
Version 10.6.7
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Is your dad's still open or is it encrypted? When you click on the wireless icon does it show up as one of the available networks ? 169. is a standard default with no connection. Note if the encryption is WEP that plays havoc with newer equipment if possible set it to WPA2. Also automatic channel selection never really works try selecting 1 ,6 or 11.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.