Selecting files on a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Howdy guys,

Something that has always bugged me since I moved to Mac is that when you have a folder full of files, say pictures for example, on a Windows machine you can select a required amount by selecting the first image file in the sequence of files you want to select & skip to the last file in the sequence, then, pressing Shift (I think, I have been using Mac so long now I'm slowly forgetting my Windows shortcuts lol) clicking that file and all of the files in the middle of these two would be selected.

Is there any way to select like this on a Mac? I hope I have described this well enough, It's one of those things that you don't really do consciously, an 'auto pilot' motion lol.

Cheers,

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It is still shift, just make sure the shift key is still held down when you click on the last file

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
on my Mac the shift key selection method does exactly the same as cmd key selection, it only selects each file you click on as opposed to all the files in between

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "shift key" method you described for Windows works the same way when selecting files or folders from the Finder. Try it. Open your documents folder and select the first file holding down the shift key, then click on the last file. All are selected.

NOTE: The shift key method does not work in Icon view, only in file name view as opposed to Windows where it works both ways. :D

Regards.

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
The "shift key" method you described for Windows works the same way when selecting files or folders from the Finder. Try it. Open your documents folder and select the first file holding down the shift key, then click on the last file. All are selected.

NOTE: The shift key method does not work in Icon view, only in file name view as opposed to Windows where it works both ways. :D

Regards.

That must be where I'm going wrong then! I have all my documents in icon view.

Thanks for that :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.