Security

Reaction score
Sometimes in the bar in the left of my finder window a new category will pop up between "Devices" and "Places" that says shared. There's an icon of a small computer that says "howj-mac."
When I click on this it says Connected as: VNC and gives me the option to share screen. When I "get info" on it it says under Kind: that it's a Mac server.

So, is this just part of my network or something that poses a security issue? I don't share my computer with anyone so am confused what this is.

Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you have a wireless network? Is it secure? Is "howj-mac" your machine or not?

Regards

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
To elaborate on what Raz0rEdge said, the items that you're seeing are other computers that are on the same network you are. So, if your network is a private one, you have a problem with interlopers. If you're on a public network (like a school or a corporate network), they are other computers that just happen to have sharing turned on in one way or another. Can you tell us a bit more about your network?

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Thanks for chiming in. The network is wireless and I just realized it's the housemates computer! So no security issue there.
Anyone know why his shows up in the finder but others in the house on the same network don't? And why it gives me the option for screen sharing?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
he probably has sharing enabled..no clue about the screen sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It gives you the screen sharing option because he has screen sharing enabled. Without the password you can't get in, but he should probably turn it off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.