• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

security software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac 3.06GHz Intel Core @duo 4 GB 800MHz DDr 2 SDRAM
hello,

i am a bit of the paranoid type. lol!. i used to have a pc and ran evidence eliminator on it and liked it a lot, i dont know if anyone is familiar with that program but it basically lets you wipe your computer(hard drive) clean of what you have been doing during a certain peroid..it does not work on mac though..

so i am wondering if anyone has seen or used anything like this that will work on a mac?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G;day and welcome to the forums.

Yes OS X used behind a firewall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Are you talking about clearing the computers cache or did it actually erase the free space on the hard drive?

EDIT: I went to the site and it looks like it does a combination of both and includes Browser History. You can Empty your cach and clear your browser history and then use Disc Utility to 1, 7 or 32 pass overwrite the empty space on the drive for security purposes.

I do find THIS page from their site amusing though...

OP
km2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey, thanks for the welcome!

baggs, ya i saw that page too? they are really going to extremes to get you to buy huh! im not a terrorist or anything, i work with some clients and have sensitive info/work i'd rather have off my computer and clean of my conscious..

i am not really familiar with the disk utility.. is it as easy as you explained it? if so, i dont mind doing it from time to time... sorry for my ignorance, do you have a link that explains the disk utility a littler better? and how i might perform this cleaning of the hard drive? i have some addons to firefox that wipe the cache and cookies and all that, so thats not really what i' worried about..

thank you for the responses, i appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disc utility is pretty strait foreword and is part of the OS itself. Open it (it's in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder), select the hard drive in question, select "ERASE" the select "ERASE FREE SPACE" and choose the option you desire to erase free space (1, 7 or 35 passes) and click "ERASE FREE SPACE", the system does the rest.

Essentially it passes over open space on the drive and randomly writes zeros and ones to that space. The options allow you to choose how many times it will over write the empty space. The 35 pass option is compliant with US Department of Defense (DoD) requirements for computer security. After that, any data is unretrievable from the drive itself. The only safer way to ensure data is unrecoverable is to physically destroy the drive platters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe. I'd still trust Disc Utility over that though.

Why pay $20 for a built in capability?

OP
km2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think he's referring to something like MacCleanse?

http://www.koingosw.com/products/maccleanse.php

thank you! thats kinda like the EE i used before, it just made what braggs is saying a lot easier for the ignorant like me :)

baggss, thanks for the details on the disk utility, ive been messing around with it the last hr and am getting a feel for it.. it is pretty straight forward like you said... thank you..

thanks guys!
i just found this forum the other day, there is a lot of great info here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.