Secure website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
With Parential Controls activated why does it stop me from logging it to secure websites?

Hello & welcome to the forums! :)

You should provide more information on your computer (model/year) and the OS X installed? But just for starters, which account are you logged into? Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
My computer is a Macbook Pro bought last Feb. I'm using osx 10.9.5.

Since I don't use many, if any, forums I'm not sure what you mean by "which account are you logged into?" Is there a site that will tell me how to use this site as well as what the links mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
BP...he is asking which computer account on your Mac are you logged into...Admin, Guest, etc.

OP
B
Reaction score
Embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't know I had different accounts. I'm not using the Admin account nor Guest. How do I find out what account I'm logged into?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
A quick and simple way for you to check to see which account is logged in...go to the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner of the desktop...click on the Apple icon and a list will populate. At the bottom you will see "Log Out xxxxxx"
Your xxxxxx's may vary;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't know I had different accounts. I'm not using the Admin account nor Guest. How do I find out what account I'm logged into?

Not sure if you've figured out your accounts from the other excellent posts, but you can also go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups to see what accounts are on your computer and which one is active; attached is the dialog box from my MBPro (I've 'blued out' personal information) - my main reason for asking is whether you might be logged into an account on your computer which is under your parental controls? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 5.41.37 PM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
I have 3 accounts: 1. Managed, 2. Admin, & 3. Guest User which is "Off".

Although, not many people use my computer - that I know off (grandkids, maybe), what I'm really trying to do is to prevent "inappropriate" web sites from being accessed. My thinking was to use Parental Controls so I opened it up. Any suggestions on how to handle preventing "inappropriate" web sites from being accessed other than Parental Controls? I can turn off Parental Controls and use another method if there is a better solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 3 accounts: 1. Managed, 2. Admin, & 3. Guest User which is "Off".

Although, not many people use my computer - that I know off (grandkids, maybe), what I'm really trying to do is to prevent "inappropriate" web sites from being accessed. My thinking was to use Parental Controls so I opened it up. Any suggestions on how to handle preventing "inappropriate" web sites from being accessed other than Parental Controls? I can turn off Parental Controls and use another method if there is a better solution.

Well, I'm trying to answer the question in your first post, i.e. 'With Parential Controls activated why does it stop me from logging it to secure websites?' - are you logged into the 'Managed' account which might be the reason for your original inquiry - let us know.

Also, are you wanting to use 'Parental Controls' (PCs) because you grandkids use the computer? Then you should activate that option for a 'Guest Account' that they can log into - you use another account w/o the PCs in place - now I do not use PCs, so you'll have to learn the options. Also, there is likely other software that might help but again not an issue for me and no experience. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, I am logged into the managed account. For what it's worth, I'm also the administrator.

I don't know that the grandkids use it. I don't think so as I've never told them they could use it. I'm just trying to set up a safe guard so that if someone is sneaking around, they can't access inappropriate sites. My grandkids are getting old enough and computer savvy enough to do just that.

I didn't mean to confuse the issue with bringing up the basic reason for setting up the PC's. So we'll get back to my basic question.

By the way if it helps any, the notice I get is "Parental Controls restricted these secure websites" with a whole bunch of web sites that look like: "syncdefaultsd https://17.167.140.65" listed. I may get 10 to 15 at a time.

Sorry about the confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I am logged into the managed account. For what it's worth, I'm also the administrator.

I don't know that the grandkids use it. I don't think so as I've never told them they could use it. I'm just trying to set up a safe guard so that if someone is sneaking around, they can't access inappropriate sites. My grandkids are getting old enough and computer savvy enough to do just that.

I didn't mean to confuse the issue with bringing up the basic reason for setting up the PC's. So we'll get back to my basic question.

By the way if it helps any, the notice I get is "Parental Controls restricted these secure websites" with a whole bunch of web sites that look like: "syncdefaultsd https://17.167.140.65" listed. I may get 10 to 15 at a time.

Well, I'm getting the feeling that you are logged into an account that has parental controls active - don't know - can you post a pic like the one I provided previously? That is go to your Users & Groups and then do a 'screen capture' (Shift-CMD-4) - this will be saved to your Desktop (in Finder) - then attach to your next post - we'll better appreciate your user setup?

But basically, you should have a user account @ the Admin level that has NO parental controls and a strong password that your grandkids cannot guess, thus you will have control of your computer.

Then setup a 'Guest Account' w/ it's own password (which can be simple for your grandkids to enter) but activate parental controls there and decide (after learning about the options - check out this Apple Support Article HERE) how strict you want to limit their use of your computer & browser. Not sure that I can offer much more - you probably need to learn a little more about the computer & the software features - good luck. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry I've taken so long to answer you but I've been doing some traveling.

To answer your question, I am logged into an account that has parent controls active. Unfortunately after taking the screen shots, I can't find a way to attach the Users Group and paste it on this note. Under Current User: I am listed, under Other Users, I am listed under Admin. Guest User is off. I hope that helps because I've tried 3 or 4 ways to attach and none worked.

I think what I'm going to do is to follow your suggestion. I'll set up my account with a strong password and then set up a Guest User with PC activated.

However, the Guest User account with the PC activated is going to run into the same problem of not allowing entry into secure web sites. I could use my Admin password and allow entry into these website but I have no idea of what they are why Google, Apple and others are not allowed entry. I fI could figure out how to insert these messages into this note, I'd do so but.....

I REALLY do thank you, and the others for your help! THANKS

Backpacker 048

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.