screen resolution problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz, Core Duo, 1gig ram, 100Gig
I have this new problem which just started to happen for no real reason. When i try to open my macbook pro after it's just been closed and sleeping for some time, the screen resolution jumps to a magnified level. If I close the lid and wait for a few seconds and open it again, then it flashes back to the normal size. I didn't notice this before I upgraded to the latest version of Mac OS update. Any idea on what could be causing this?

Reaction score
Same here...

I've had a similar problem, both now and before the last update. I'd say, once every 50 wake-ups, the screen will be magnified (resolution looks awful) and I'll go in and do a restart and things will usually be better. It certainly wasn't a 'regular' occurance. However, this last time I did a restart, my boot screen resolution was ugly as well and now it appears that my boot screen (apple + loader icon) is permanently at the wrong resolution. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
This may be a resolution to your problem =)

When restarting, hold down CONTROL OPTION P R. Wait until the third chime, then let go of the keys.

That will reset PRAM which may hold the the screen resolution setting on reboot.

Reaction score
This may be a resolution to your problem =)

When restarting, hold down CONTROL OPTION P R. Wait until the third chime, then let go of the keys.

That will reset PRAM which may hold the the screen resolution setting on reboot.

I know it's been long time since this thread begun, but I want/need to revive it because I'm still having the same problem even after the PRAM reset (I even reinstalled the whole system but problems persists).

I guess this might be somehow related to connecting an external screen to it, because that's when I begun notice this problem.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 1,1 (first generation), running OS 10.5 now, but problem begun under 10.4. In fact there actually TWO problems:

1. the one mentioned by SJTrance (very low resolution, usually when coming back from sleep);​
and
2. good appearance but somewhat funny horizontal resolution (all look perfect on the screen but when I try to use "exposé" I realize that the edge of the "virtual screen" is not at the corner of my computer's "physical screen", but farther.) This usually happens on a fresh boot / restart.

The first problem is solved simply by hitting fn+F7, which makes the screen resolution come back to normal settings.

But to the second problem, the only solution I was able to find, so far, is open the system preferences and, under "screen resolution", hit the "detect screen" button. It flashes once or twice and the 1440x900 comes back in place.

But I would really appreciate not having to go through this each time I start/reboot my computer.

Any ideas?

PS: I might say I'm doing a triple boot with W7 beta and Ubuntu 8.10 and I haven't had any related problems with those OSs...

Reaction score
Resolution Problem

Try this:-

a) System Preferences.
b) Universal Access.
c) Turn Zoom OFF.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.

Regards.

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up again too, but I am also having the same problem.

Recently I was having issues with my macbook pro. It wouldn't boot up. It would turn on and turn off at the grey screen after about 5 seconds.

I ended up reinstalling Leopard. I'm currently at 10.5.8. At first I thought everything was running fine, but I'm having the same issues with the resolution.

When I wake the computer back up or turn it on I have the really low resoultion. I've tried resetting the PRAM and my zoom is off. What's weird is when I go into the resolution settings to try to fix it I am unable to because it opens 2 windows. (one for resolution settings and one for VGA display which I have no idea how to access when the computer is acting normal)

What should I do? Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What's weird is when I go into the resolution settings to try to fix it I am unable to because it opens 2 windows. (one for resolution settings and one for VGA display which I have no idea how to access when the computer is acting normal)

What should I do? Thanks
I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean. Can you provide a screenshot/clarify this a bit?

BTW, do you have a second screen attached to your computer? Is it perhaps a VGA monitor? If so that might account for what I think you are seeing. With multiple monitors attached (counting the built-in screen) and if the preference pane is set to gather windows the setting windows for all displays will appear on the same screen.

Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean. Can you provide a screenshot/clarify this a bit?

BTW, do you have a second screen attached to your computer? Is it perhaps a VGA monitor? If so that might account for what I think you are seeing. With multiple monitors attached (counting the built-in screen) and if the preference pane is set to gather windows the setting windows for all displays will appear on the same screen.

No, I don't have an external monitor. I'll try to explain it again.

When the resolution appears normal I can go into System Preferences and click on Displays and then it has the resolution settings, set to 1440 x 900.

When the resolution messes up and is really low, If I go into System Preferences and click on Displays it has the resolution settings AND a window for VGA display settings which I can't access any other time. So when I try to change resolution back to 1440 x 900 it still does not appear correct

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I understand what you mean. I don't think I have seen that before. Don't have a solution yet but I'll keep an eye out.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try a Reset of the SMC - link.

Reaction score
Hey I've tried resetting the SMC as well. Here's a pic that shows the resolution is set to 1440 x 900 already and the two windows

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you at one time have an external monitor hooked up to your MacBook Pro? Anyway, try resetting the PRAM - NVRAM to see if that removes the ghost monitor that's showing up in that second window.

Reaction score
Hey I have reset the PRAM & NVRAM a few times. When it starts up following that the settings are fine but after waking my macbook up it may get messed up again. I've never had an external monitor hooked up to this computer other than when I was copying files in target mode before reinstall leopard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, you have a stubborn ghost... Try this: create another account as a test and see if the same problem shows up when logging on to the new account.

Reaction score
Hey, I doubt that would make a difference. My computer will often go weird when I turn the computer on for the first time each morning. I guess I'm looking at another reinstall to see if that helps

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would suggest trying chscag's suggestion. You don't need to run with that account all the time just long enough to rule out a few things.

I keep a "clean" account on my system for troubleshooting purposes. I only run from that account if I am having an issue that I can't resolve. Since I don't run other programs from it the user account is not cluttered with add ons and preferences that might present problems.

Here's an example: I recently spent several hours trying to get Photoshop Elements installed. After several failures, including two chat sessions with Adobe, their rep had me create a new account. I had one on my system but had not thought to use it. Th program installed on the first shot. Something in my user folder not only prevented installation of the program but prevented their screen sharing software from working as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hey I've tried resetting the SMC as well. Here's a pic that shows the resolution is set to 1440 x 900 already and the two windows

How did you get the VGA display screen to pop up? That's the only way I can get the resolution I want on my monitor without messing it up...

Reaction score
never would have looked in the universal access

I opened this account just to say thank you. I was going to have to go into the genius bar the day after christmas to fix this. that would have been a huge bummer. thanks! kc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.