Screen problem

Reaction score
About a month ago a vertical line of pixels turned pink on my desktop. Then another vertical line appeared in yellow further over on the screen. Suddenly I have a 6cm wide column of 'missing' pixels in the middle of my 3-4 year old iMac screen...can this be fixed or is it time to buy a new one? :\

Posted an picture of the screen on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/teresaflannery/6243558698/

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, we need to determine if it's the graphics processor or the LCD. Run this test:

Take a screenshot of your desktop with the vertical line of pixels. If the same thing shows up in the screenshot, it's likely a problem with the graphics processor. That may require a new logic board to repair.

If the screenshot does not show the vertical line of pixels, then it's probably a defective LCD. Which would mean changing it.

Of the two, changing out the LCD may be less costly. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.