Screen problem macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.0ghz i7 , iPhone 6 16gb
Hi,

Just purchased a refurbed macbook pro. Everything is fine however sometimes i'm left with a screen issue when logging in. The image of what is happening is below (link due to image for some reason not working directly in post). I don't have a problem logging in however it's quite annoying.

http://s23.postimg.org/dos0d4657/image1.jpg

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just purchased a refurbed macbook pro.

Not supposed to happen. I would return it to the refurber/seller. Or at least see what they can do to make things right.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Did you purchase this from the Apple refurb store or some 3rd party store? Either way, looks like the graphics card is failing or failed. You should immediately return it and get a replacement..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Had similar screens and Apple said graphics card was playing up and replaced FOC.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you purchase this from the Apple refurb store or some 3rd party store? Either way, looks like the graphics card is failing or failed. You should immediately return it and get a replacement..
hi,

thanks for the reply. I purchased the product from a third part reseller. Everything else seems fine with the machine and games etc run perfect, this is the only issue. Do you recommend getting it replaced or should i go into the apple store to see what they could do?

p.s. I don't have apple care, would they charge me?

The machine has got a warranty on it for around 6 months.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you buy it from Apple refurb, you get 1 year of AppleCare and can add on 2 more years. Since you didn't buy from Apple and don't have AppleCare, they will definitely charge you..

If this third party reseller also has a service area or whatever, you should take it back there and have them resolve it for you..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased the product from a third part reseller.

This is why the term "refurbished" (used in the first post) means next to nothing. Refurbished by Apple means one thing (a good thing)…and the term refurbished used by a 3rd party retailer means something "MUCH" different. Could simply mean they turned the computer on…and it worked!

Do you recommend getting it replaced or should i go into the apple store to see what they could do?

p.s. I don't have apple care, would they charge me?

Apple will probably diagnose it for free…but if repairs are needed (without Applecare)…Apple will most certainly charge you.

The machine has got a warranty on it for around 6 months.

Return it…or get the 3rd party seller to make things right.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ill contact the seller monday since they aren't available over weekends. Their returns policy states that i can return and get a refund or a replacement, the problem is I need this machine now as my other notebook broke. So if I send this item back i won't have a machine to work from for quite awhile. (their delivery is 5-10 working days, longer over christmas period and i'd have to get the machine to them first).

Whats the chances that this is the graphics card failing? This problem only occurs during login and it doesn't happen all the time. Is it possible that this is a minor issue which can be resolved an easier way?

thanks for all the help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ill contact the seller monday since they aren't available over weekends. Their returns policy states that i can return and get a refund or a replacement, the problem is I need this machine now as my other notebook broke. So if I send this item back i won't have a machine to work from for quite awhile. (their delivery is 5-10 working days, longer over christmas period and i'd have to get the machine to them first).

Despite the inconvenience returning the computer may pose. All of this info is really not pertinent. If the computer needs to be returned…then it needs to be returned. Regardless of the hassles it causes personally. Just being honest.:)

Whats the chances that this is the graphics card failing?

It's either a software problem or a hardware problem.

- If it's a hardware problem…then it needs to be returned.
- If it's a software problem. The quickest & easiest way to determine this is…erase the hard drive & reinstall a fresh copy of the OS (no other non-OS installs).

If the problem still persists after the fresh OS install…you have a hardware problem (needs to be returned). If the problem goes away…then it was a software issue.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb

Whats the chances that this is the graphics card failing? This problem only occurs during login and it doesn't happen all the time. Is it possible that this is a minor issue which can be resolved an easier way?

thanks for all the help

The graphics card has already failed and will probably get worse. Under UK law the machine is not fit for purpose and you owe it to yourself to return it. Why not ask for a refund and buy elsewhere? A little inconvenience now could save lots of trouble later.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've spoke to apple support online, they told me to reset my 'PRAM' by holding 'command, option, P + R' on start-up. I did this and the problem now seems to be solved. Apple support said the problem should now be fixed but my gut instinct is to still send the machine back.

Im going to get a full report on Monday when I take it into the apple store. At the minute im just struggling to believe that a simple start up technique has fixed the problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im going to get a full report on Monday when I take it into the apple store. At the minute im just struggling to believe that a simple start up technique has fixed the problem.

Hey ya never know…maybe the PRAM reset did the trick!:)

You got a couple days to test things out. Give the computer a good test run before Monday. Maybe it was something simple after all…which would be great…considering the inconveniences you mentioned if you were without a computer.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah really hoping its sorted the problem out but getting the feeling that something is going to go wrong over the next few days, not had the best of luck recently haha

Thanks for all the replies anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.