Screen or graphics malfunction?

Reaction score
I dropped my macbook yesterday, it now has a minor scratch in the screen, it's kinda long but very thin. Screen is still working like normal except for one thing; dark colours have turned neon green.

Is this a graphics card related issue or has it something to do with the screen?
I don't think repairing the screen will fix the issue (350 Euros for a minor scratch isn't really worth it.) and is it possible to replace the graphics card at a local IT-repair shop or do I need to go by insurance and Apple? Insurance will cost the **** of a lot more than replacing the graphics card, I have owned it for a year, so warranty is on verge of expiring, and it's not a legit reason since I dropped it. How should I do go by?

Thanks for advice in beforehand.

Reaction score
you can't replace the graphics card its attached to the main board permanently sorry

it sounds like you have the screens ribbon cable lose and you need to get it re attached and for gods sake don't drop the thing next time

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the problem isn't something simple (like something loose)…and if this computer is less than a year old…then it may actually be less expensive to have it repaired…rather than purchasing a new computer.

So from what I see…you need to:

- open it up to see if something got knocked loose from the drop
- get it repaired
- put up with the problem.

By the way…a test you can do is…attach an external monitor. If the problem is not present on the external display…then the problem is the MacBook Pro's internal display or cable. If the problem remains on the external display…then it's the logic board/graphics.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.