Screen backlight or backlight board?

Reaction score
So i've have a problem with my 2010 imac 27" where i turn it on it stays on for a couple seconds and the back light shuts off?
So i don't know if i should replace the back light board or the screen itself?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you looked at the breakdown of your iMac at iFixit: The Free Repair Manual Where is the backlight circuit located and is it on a separate board? The backlight circuitry might be located within the display assembly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
as I can see its an LED driver board on the display in this iMac,

try following this guide iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 LED Driver Board Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide

see how you go it could be that the display itself is going bad maybe some of the led array

do you have any bright or darker spots on the screen when it does come on ?

also it could be the GPU going bad as ive seen this happen then also.

OP
J
Reaction score
as I can see its an LED driver board on the display in this iMac,

try following this guide iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 LED Driver Board Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide

see how you go it could be that the display itself is going bad maybe some of the led array

do you have any bright or darker spots on the screen when it does come on ?

also it could be the GPU going bad as ive seen this happen then also.

No the screen looks fine just turns off. I have it displaying to a external monitor right now I don’t know if the rules out the gpu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
have you checked the backlight setting ?

and one other thing if you was to hold the option key on turning on the iMac does the screen stay on ?

as if it does it could also be some system files are messed up somewhere

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No the screen looks fine just turns off. I have it displaying to a external monitor right now I don’t know if the rules out the gpu.

That means the GPU is okay. You might be better off replacing the entire display assembly which should also include the backlight board. Of course depending on much you want to spend..... $$$

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.