Scared to upgrade to 10.3 from 9.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema
I like the current look and feel of 9.1.

I like the fact that all my current software works (Freehand 10, Illustrator 10, Quark 5, Photoshop 5.2, Pagemaker 6.5, PCMaclan, etc.) with 9.1.

I like the fact that my fonts work.

But I feel the wave approaching that if I don't buy a different boat, I am going to go keel up.

I don't mind making the switch except for all the other software I will probably have to replace in order to be compatible with OSX.

Will I still be able to network with my other 9.1 mac and my windows 98 pc?

Is there more to gain than I am going to lose?

Am I being overly cautious?

Insight from those who have made the change would be greatly appreciated.

remltr...

:eek:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Not knowing what you do, here goes. If you are a designer, then you will have to change to keep out with your clients. Some of the application you use can be run in the classic mode. I know that photoshop and illustrator works. I can not say how fast, since I only do simple things, with both. If you replace the hardware, you will have to update your software.

L

lar5one

I do music and yes, I did have to upgrade my software, but apart from that, I only feel that I gained from switching to OSX.

...and if you are very worried, why not make it a dual-boot system with both 9 and X installed? Works for me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
lar5one said:
...and if you are very worried, why not make it a dual-boot system with both 9 and X installed? Works for me :D

Exactly how I have my G3 AIO set up. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
remltr said:
I like the fact that all my current software works (Freehand 10, Illustrator 10, Quark 5, Photoshop 5.2, Pagemaker 6.5, PCMaclan, etc.) with 9.1.

Adobe apps may run in Classic mode, but don't bet it'll be too snappy. If you can afford the apps for OS X, go for it. Otherwise dual boot would be the best way to go as lar5one suggests.

I like the fact that my fonts work.

They'll still work. ;)

But I feel the wave approaching that if I don't buy a different boat, I am going to go keel up.

I don't mind making the switch except for all the other software I will probably have to replace in order to be compatible with OSX.

Will I still be able to network with my other 9.1 mac and my windows 98 pc?

Keeping up with the times is important, but usually you only need to upgrade if the new system offers you something that the old one doesn't. In this case, 9.1. I still know people that use 9.1, not that they need to, but they have no need to upgrade either, so they stick with it until they see that someone has OS X and they like the looks or features, or both.

You'll still be able to network with Windows, probably easier and better than before. I don't remember being to network with 9.1 to MS Windows all that easily without using Dave. With OS X, you don't need Dave. You can, but I haven't had the need and I share two printers, and do file sharing from my iMac 17", and with my PB to other PC's in the house.

Being cautious is always worthwhile when you're thinking of upgrading.

When you do, I would do a clean install though, but backup all your critical data first, of course. ;)

M

msgraphik

Same uneasy feelings here. I just completed my switch. Yep it's time to spend $ and keep up. OSX has been out for about three years and you can be happy with 10.3.3 as a solid OS. Buy another Mac and keep using your old one as needed until you make the total jump. I'm setting up a client like that now. Dual boot units are the smoohtest way. But if you get only a OSX bootable be sure to keep your old Mac around for a back up. Comfort comes fast in OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.