Scanning virus on MacPro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Scanning virus on MacPro

How to scan memory stick for virus

You failed to paste in the step by step instructions. I'm sure there are users who would like to know how to do this.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi toMACsh. Pardon my error, that is meant to be a question. I in fact need those step by step scanning of memory stick for viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi toMACsh. Pardon my error, that is meant to be a question. I in fact need those step by step scanning of memory stick for viruses.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

I would encourage you to start over and give us some helpful information: 1) What Apple computer (model/year) are you using; 2) What OS X is installed; 3) Do you have any malware software on your computer; if so, what; 4) What type of memory stick are you talking about, e.g. USB, SD, or other; 5) Why are you concerned by 'viruses' on this stick; and 6) What have you done so far? Dave

OP
P
Reaction score
1. MacBook Pro, 13 inch. Mid 2012.
2. OS X10.9.5 (13F34).
3. No, there is no malware software on my computer.
4. USB memory stick.
5. When I try to print my word docs at internet cafe, I am told they cannot use my stick because it has been infected by a virus. They refuse to remove the iris and I therefore need to detect and remove the alleged virus from my MacBook Pro.
6. I have posted the question on the forum hoping for help and advice.
Dave I pray the above responses match your expectations, they have been tough questions for me. I admit I don't have expertise on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
4. USB memory stick.
5. When I try to print my word docs at internet cafe, I am told they cannot use my stick because it has been infected by a virus. They refuse to remove the iris and I therefore need to detect and remove the alleged virus from my MacBook Pro.
6. I have posted the question on the forum hoping for help and advice...

Hi again - just a few quotes above from your previous post - first, there are no viruses 'in the wild' at this moment that will infect the Apple OS X - now that does not mean you have a Word doc file that might contain Windows malware of some type?

You need to provide some more information - you seem to be using Word doc files on your Apple laptop - are these files you are generating w/ Word on your computer and/or obtained from a Windows computer? I'm just trying to determine were these Word docs files are originating, i.e. grabbed from a Windows system (e.g. emailed to you, passed along on the USB drive that your mention, or by some other means)?

The information about your USB drive infected w/ a virus is unclear since you were given no information - I'm assuming that the Word doc has the infected virus - what to do? If this was a file sent to you from a Windows user, then you need to contact that person to check for infection. You can download the 'free' virus program ClamXav (NONE other!) and check the file on your laptop's drive (not sure if the program will also check an attached USB drive - have not used it in 3-4 years) - keep in mind that this is checking for Windows viruses. LET me stop there for you to think about the suggestions so far - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.