Sawtooth G4 Versus Mac Mini

I

IcedOutQMutha

So I have a Mac Mini 1.42 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80GB HD, and I am in the running to trade it for a Sawtooth Powermac G4; 400Mhz, 768 MB RAM, 120GB HD. If I upgrade the Sawtooth to 1 Ghz, would this be a good deal? I was liking the idea at first, but now looking at the specs on my mini I'm not so sure. The graphics card is also better in the saw.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If it were me, I would not trade. I don't know about graphics card, but you do have the faster processor. I would save my money for a G5 system.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have both machines. The main thing about the Sawtooth Powermacs is the AGP Slot is AGP 2x, and there are a lot of the newer video cards that will not work with it. My close friend has a Power Mac Digital Audio. It has AGP 4x, he upgraded the CPU to one of the new 1.7Ghz G4's, put in 1.5GB RAM and upgraded the video to a Modded ATI 9800 Pro. It's a pretty fast system, and a bit faster in some benchmarks than my Mini.

There are a few things like the AGP 2x and slower memory Bus that might hold back the Sawtooth. I someday when I have some spare $$$ am going to get a faster processor for my Sawtooth 500 and see how it then performs. Right now it has 1.5GB RAM and an ATI Radeon AGP 2x. The Radeon helped a lot on video speed, but the Mini still is a far faster machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.