Save Money on Superdrive (External DVD-R?)

J

Joeytpg

Guys......here's the thing......i've been compairing the prices at applestore, and i've come to this conclussion. i can save some money buying the COMBO drive and then getting an External DVD-R right?.......how much can an external dvd-r for Mac cost?......i saw, like 90 bucks for a DVD-r.......but i don't know if it's only for PC's! :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well maybe as long as it fits a USB port it may work right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
90 bucks? highly doubtful....for a decent one its like 220
but you can not use iDVD with the external (there is a hack) natively

OP
J

Joeytpg

trpnmonkey41 said:

****!.....anyways.....if you're short in money....then just cover up with what you got!...maybe i'll get the Combo drive and then LATER get a DVD-R for my Desktop PC. :)

another question............if you go to applestore, and you click for example the 15" 1.33 Powerbook.....it totales $1,999 right?.... lets say i add up the backlit keyboard (PLUS $69) then it's $2,068 if i buy it...is that THE ONLY AMOUNT i'm going to pay to get it home??...or i'll also have to pay shipping/h etc. etc.?? and how much is it going to be IN THE END? (TOTAL TOTAL TOTAL??)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
there is sales tax on the site if there is an apple store where you live
and most of the time shipping is not free

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Joeytpg said:
another question............if you go to applestore, and you click for example the 15" 1.33 Powerbook.....it totales $1,999 right?.... lets say i add up the backlit keyboard (PLUS $69) then it's $2,068 if i buy it...is that THE ONLY AMOUNT i'm going to pay to get it home??...or i'll also have to pay shipping/h etc. etc.?? and how much is it going to be IN THE END? (TOTAL TOTAL TOTAL??)

Tax will be added, but standard ground shipping on orders over $50 is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
trpnmonkey41 said:
there is sales tax on the site if there is an apple store where you live
and most of the time shipping is not free
Well in my case my Mac was shipped free, FedEx, but that's my case :)

OP
W

Wapa18

go on apple's online store and do it. then after you see the total, cancel the order.

OP
C

Chamorro

Joeytpg said:
Guys......here's the thing......i've been compairing the prices at applestore, and i've come to this conclussion. i can save some money buying the COMBO drive and then getting an External DVD-R right?.......how much can an external dvd-r for Mac cost?......i saw, like 90 bucks for a DVD-r.......but i don't know if it's only for PC's! :confused:

I bet that getting the SuperDrive is less expensive than getting BOTH a Combo and an external drive....unless you really wanted both anyways.

Keep in mind that you could also get an internal drive and a FireWire case for it (look for Oxford 911 chipset for FireWire 400).

OP
T

Tron

trpnmonkey41 said:

Here in Taiwan you can get an Asus 4X dual format (+/-) for about $90. There are a few other big names with units priced in the same region.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Taiwan I need to pop over sometime... need a cheap 3rd display.

Hey Tron, is it cheaper in Taiwan or Kong Kong?

OP
T

Tron

I'm not really sure, most of my purchases from HK have been mail order of things I couldn't find here. Aren't displays really cheap in China anyways?

OP
I

ianlee77

Get the superdrive!

Get the superdrive.
First, it is much more portable than external ones.
Second, you cannot use iDVD on external drives.
Third, at least $170 after educational discount for LaCie external 8x DVD +/- RW w/ Toast 6 Titanium.
I went for combo drive and still regret for not getting superdrive :eek: . Although my LaCie does a good job, it's just too bulky to carry around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.