• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Samsung to Depose Jony Ive and Other Apple Designers, Seeks iPhone 4S Source Code

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Samsung to Depose Jony Ive and Other Apple Designers, Seeks iPhone 4S Source Code - Mac Rumors

[Apple lawyer Cameron] Moore also claimed that because Qualcomm developed the baseband chip in the iPhone 4S — the Qualcomm MDM6610 — and had licence agreements in place for Samsung patents, these agreements would apply to the iPhone 4S. Cochrane said that Samsung experts would need to see the source code for the iPhone 4S firmware to see how the chip interacts with the rest of the phone to determine whether the company's patent is being infringed.

Samsung doesn't need to see Apple's iPhone source code in order for them to be awarded the lawsuit claim...thieves! Pathetic imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
That seems weird to me - If qualcomm had license agreements to use the technology in the chips, wouldn't the license follow the chips? I mean, it would seem that it's double dipping for samsung to get paid license fees from qualcomm, then to get license fees for the same component by the next level of manufacturer? I'm no lawyer so I'm probably way off base here for how it's handled in the real world but if feels like a double dip fee to me.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That seems weird to me - If qualcomm had license agreements to use the technology in the chips, wouldn't the license follow the chips? I mean, it would seem that it's double dipping for samsung

That's how I view it too. I have a feeling there is more to this than is written online about the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.