Samsung T7 as a start up disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi All

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but not sure if it should go anywhere else!

I have a Samsung T3 SSD. I have managed (using Disk Utility) to format this and use the restore function to copy the old HDD and have made a bootable eternal SSD. This has breathed new life into the iMac and I am pleased with the results (So much faster). However, the SSD is only low capacity, so I have purchased a T7 ssd - 1Tb, in order to do the same. Now when I try to do the restore and copy the HDD to the T7, I get the attached message. Could someone please advise what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 16.55.29.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 16.55.29.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
A little more information may be useful. What macOS is on the T3 SSD and was it originally initialised APFS. Was the T7 SSD also initialised APFS and what software were you using to clone the T3 to T7?

Reaction score
...I have purchased a T7 ssd - 1Tb, in order to do the same. Now when I try to do the restore and copy the HDD to the T7, I get the attached message. Could someone please advise what I am doing wrong?

Did you format the T7 SSD when you got it? It likely came pre-formatted as NTFS (for Windows). Macs can't write to NTFS drives. Your T7 SSD needs to be reformatted (using Disk Utility) to APFS for use with your Mac.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have formatted the T7 in APFS before trying to use it. I am running Mac OS Monterey. I followed the exact process I did for the T3, but for some reason, it fails to copy the info form the HDD. I did not use any software to copy to the T3, but used the restore function within Disk Utility to copy from the internal spinning HDD to the T3. I just wish to replicate this on the larger T7.

Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think your problem is the you are trying to "restore" the T3 to the T7 using the T3 as the startup dusk.
I think you may be able to clone the T3 to the T7 if your iMac is booted from its internal drive and you use the free trial version of 3rd party cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.
I assume your iMacs internal HDD still works, that you changed to the T3 SSD for speed and efficiency.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think your problem is the you are trying to "restore" the T3 to the T7 using the T3 as the startup dusk.
I think you may be able to clone the T3 to the T7 if your iMac is booted from its internal drive and you use the free trial version of 3rd party cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.
I assume your iMacs internal HDD still works, that you changed to the T3 SSD for speed and efficiency.
Yes, the original HDD still works and I did change to the T3 for speed etc, which is great. Regarding restoring to the T7, I have tried to do this from the HDD rather than the T3, plus in the end, I also tried from the T3 to the T7, but no luck. As you say, maybe I should try the CCC route. Just seems strange after the original copy to the T3 went so well.

Thank you.

krs

Reaction score
I have never used the DU Restore option - always used CCC or SuperDuper, but maybe this will shed some light on what the issue is
Using Disk Utility’s restore capabilities to make a clone of your startup drive has a limitation. Disk Utility uses a block copy method that provides for a faster copy, but it also needs to unmount all of the volumes involved in the restore process. Since the startup drive can’t be unmounted, you can’t make a clone of the startup drive directly.
Instead, you need to either boot your Mac to another drive that contains the Mac OS, or use the Recovery HD volume to start up and run Disk Utility from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.