samsung ssd t5

Reaction score
external ssd will not partition, can create no recovery drive for sierria (using carbon copy cloner) to create boot drive on imac late 2015... utilities partition greyed out on both imac and lap top even after reformating. says t5 partition scheme incompatible with mac osx intel.....any work arounds ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I've not got a workaround sorry, but can confirm that I've partitioned T5 drives in the past so it's not an issue with the Samsung architecture.

Hope you find a solution soon as they are great drives - very fast and reliable in my experience.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
external ssd will not partition, can create no recovery drive for sierria (using carbon copy cloner) to create boot drive on imac late 2015... utilities partition greyed out on both imac and lap top even after reformating. says t5 partition scheme incompatible with mac osx intel.....any work arounds ????

Make sure you're using the "GUID" partitioning scheme and not any other. The T5 should partition just like any other drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
external ssd will not partition, can create no recovery drive for sierria (using carbon copy cloner)

Are you actually trying to use Disk Utility.app to create the partition?

And are you selecting the name of the drive, and not any volume named below the main Drive name?

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
I've not got a workaround sorry, but can confirm that I've partitioned T5 drives in the past so it's not an issue with the Samsung architecture.

Hope you find a solution soon as they are great drives - very fast and reliable in my experience.

can you share that partition process please...thank you

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
have imac w/ 2 externals, back up and ssd boot, boot is failing,( disk warrior cant replace directory due to damaged drive ) ....got T5 to replace imac external but when copied, drop down stated that the partition scheme was not compatible with apple intel osx and im left with data storage not a boot. im thinking repartition T5 but utilities is not allowing it, the only thing i could do was erase and reformat the T5 which was done twice..... perhaps due to Samsungs T5 versatile applications the architecture is storage only with the apple osx....
either samsung is hiding the fact or im missing something .....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How did you copy to the T5? What app provided the error message? How did you erase and reformat the T5? There is, AFAIK, no reason that SSD should not work as an external bootable if formatted properly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I know, the "GUID" partitioning scheme shouldn't matter or be required on an external drive.

It sure does if you expect to boot with it. The way I read his post, is that's exactly what he's trying to do.

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
you are correct .....was not enabling guid on format ......have done so and recovery volume is now installed in T5 boot drive

Thank you all:
Johann >Jake >Patrick> chscag

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you are correct .....was not enabling guid on format ......have done so and recovery volume is now installed in T5 ..

Congratulations!!!
Don't ask me why, if this was your case, and as a warning to others, Apple for some reason makes doing so harder than necessary:
Disk Utility in macOS High Sierra doesn’t make that option easy to find. Read on to see where it’s hiding.
... Disk Utility hides the GUID format option by default

How to Format a Drive with GUID for macOS High Sierra, Mojave Installation
How to Format a Drive with GUID for macOS High Sierra, Mojave Installation - The Mac Observer

Go figure!!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, that article was more than just a bit hyperbolic. The GUID option is right where it's been for 4-5 versions, at least, of the OS. Not "hidden" and not particularly hard to find. Under "Erase," which is where, logically, it needs to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, that article was more than just a bit hyperbolic. The GUID option is right where it's been for 4-5 versions, at least, of the OS.

Just relaying what a user's experience found Jake, and I dare say they were not the only one who found the operation a bit more difficult than it should have been.

I'd say something is sure not as good as it could be considering of the number of times the formatting question gets asked in various Mac forums.

Anyway, the OP finally got everything working the way they need I gather, so that's good. :D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess you are correct, Patrick. It's asking a bit much to have anybody actually read how to do things: How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

I thought you had been a Mac user for years Jake, and I thought you might have recalled the days when reading any associated manual was almost considered taboo.
Maybe in those days the GUI was soo good, the user didn't really have to read anything, or look at any descriptive illustrations.

But times and things have changed it seems. Maybe a wee bit or so. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I came to the Mac in 2008, when I first saw Windows running in Parallels on an iMac in a store. Bought one right there and then and took it home. I had replaced an aging PC with a new one and after adding A/V software to it, the new one was no faster than the old one. By using Parallels, I didn't need any A/V as I could just whack any infected image and put back a pre-infection one.

I did try a Mac early, in about 1982 or so, but the total lack of any guidance on what to do with it really left me flat. I remember staring at the grey screen with ONE icon on it, a mouse with ONE button and thinking, "This should be easy." But when I clicked on that one icon, nothing happened. Nada, zilch, zero. And with no help to indicate what I had done incorrectly, I decided I didn't have time to go searching for the secret. Took 26 years to get over that. Sometimes too little is not really a good thing. And that arrogance from Apple really did cost them a LOT of users who might otherwise have moved over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took 26 years to get over that. Sometimes too little is not really a good thing. And that arrogance from Apple really did cost them a LOT of users who might otherwise have moved over.

Gee Jake, what a sad story, but I'm glad to say you seem to be happy with your Mac situation these days.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sad, Patrick, but probably a lesson there for Apple somewhere.

Windows really was awful for a long time. I used OS/2 when IBM pushed that out and really liked it. It truly was better at Windows than Windows was at the time. But MS stabbed IBM in the back by not collaborating on OS/2 for newer versions of Windows, so IBM let it die.

The companies I worked for were all Windows users. It all worked pretty much to keep me in the MS world. But that experience with a brand new PC was disheartening so when I saw that an iMac could run Windows and was actually faster than my brand new PC, I moved on it. Eventually migrated away from MS to what is now macOS and eventually have given up on Windows altogether. I still have a Windows 7 image that I need to keep because I used TaxAct software for taxes on that virtual machine a couple of years ago and as it only ran on Windows I need to keep it around until the audit vulnerability period expires. It has been moved off the internal drive, however, and now resides in an external drive.

I still have that iMac. It is from 2008, going strong running my home automation system. I did put in an SSD when the boot drive began to show issues and to speed up the boot process, but the machine just keeps running and running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.