Samba Mounts on Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
While using Mavericks, mounted the network samba shares from my linux file server. The reason for using samba is because I have windows systems on my network as well.

On Mavericks, they were working well. On Yosemite Developer Preview, they worked well. But after Yosemite was released, I did a clean install. Now it seems that every time I try to copy a file or a folder to the shared drives, the computer just restarts like someone pressed the hard reset button. Any ideas?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have a couple of VMs on my rMBP running Yosemite. One is a Linux VM sharing a folder over SAMBA. The other VM is a Windows 8 VM that mounts that share and I've got it mounted on the OS X side and am reading/writing lots of data without any problems..

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Could it be my network drivers?

Reaction score
We were having the same issues at the office with our Debian 7.6 virtual machines. The issue seems to be related to the SMB3 protocol.

Here's the fix:

SMB2 support in 3.6.0 is fully functional (with one omission), and can be enabled by setting:

max protocol = SMB2

in the [global] section of your smb.conf and re-starting Samba.

Reaction score
Thank you!

We were having the same issues at the office with our Debian 7.6 virtual machines. The issue seems to be related to the SMB3 protocol.

Here's the fix:

SMB2 support in 3.6.0 is fully functional (with one omission), and can be enabled by setting:

max protocol = SMB2

in the [global] section of your smb.conf and re-starting Samba.

I was getting frequent random freezes while using SMB shares from my VMware Ubuntu server on Yosemite 10.10 (14A389) until I set the max protocol as you suggested. Thank you thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.