Safari won't quit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac late 2015
I have an iMac computer with the latest OS update which includes Safari v12.0.3. The Safari icon in the dock shows the app open even after I quit and then Force Quit the app. In the Force Quit dialog box the Safari icon disappears for a second or so then pops right back up after Force Quitting. When I Quit Safari in the normal way, the current Safari page closes but the app still appears to be open. When I reopen a Safari bookmark for example two Safari windows open one on top of the other. Can any one help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

You might try opening Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) and looking for Safari in the CPU tab. Then click it once, and then click on the "X" on the menubar just above the column names and select either "Quit" or "Force Quit" to see if that will shut it down. You an also look at Preferences for Safari to see if you have any extensions installed that might be blocking it from closing.

And I am sure you know this but you said,
When I Quit Safari in the normal way
The "normal" way is not to click the red dot, but to click on "Safari" on the top menu bar, then "Quit Safari." I'm sure you know that, but it doesn't hurt to be sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Or, “command Q”.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac late 2015
Many thanks for your quick replies. I have tried all those steps but still cannot stop Safari from continuing to run in the background. When I force quit from the Activity Monitor the Safari window closes but its still running as indicated by the dot under the dock icon.
Tannis

Reaction score
First rule of tech support: reboot the machine. Have you tried rebooting and seen the issue persist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
but its still running as indicated by the dot under the dock icon.

Are you sure it still actually running???

Is Safari listed in ActivityMonitor?

Is the dot under the Safari Dock icon part of a desktop picture that may be showing through the translucent section of the Dock?

You can click and drag to move the icon to check.

Did things improve with a restart???

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you added any extensions to Safari lately? Maybe that's what's frocing Safari to remain open.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac late 2015
I have a new question. On a different topic. How do I start a new thread?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm not sure that from what was said in the first post that the app is actually running. Obviosly if it appears in the Force Quit menu or Activity Monitor it is and I'm wrong. Just make sure it actually is running and not just an option to run. Another easy way to see what's running and quit apps is the old Command plus Tab combination.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.